Engine overhaul

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
lakesrally

Engine overhaul

Post by lakesrally » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:22 am

Can anyone recommmend a good engine restorer for a 1920's engine? Any sugestions would be appreciated.

paul williams

Re: Engine overhaul

Post by paul williams » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Steve Cotterill is doing my 29 2L and Mike Couldry's 31 Meteor at the moment, but hes not quick !

Paul

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Hello Stewart,
Have you thought of asking Coventry Motor Museum who they use for machining etc.? We have been giving them some assistance in terms of suggesting ways forward with their 1909 Rover 15. I have been speaking to Chris in their workshop.

It depends what work needs doing on your engine, Coventry Boring & Metalling Co [http://www.coventryboring.co.uk] springs to mind. I understand that Ramsey Engineering (who are located close to Coventry Boring & Metalling Co.) are sometimes used for complex work.

Curiously enough, what the Rover 15 needs is Piston rings. I have a Hepolite book and was able to find some correct diameter Hepolite references, The problem being the height of the grooves in the piston. Then a net search turned up several possibilities for making bespoke piston rings, including one firm in Maryport.

Let me know if you need further information on CBM, I seem to remember that a West Midlands section member has had some work done by them.

Regards

Mike

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Mike, which Chris, is that Christiaan Schaardenburgh the curator? If not, have you got a second name and/or telephone number? It's not my engine but another 16/50 and it needs a lot of rebuilding, parts fabricating etc.

I have been to the place in Maryport, I picked up a Clegg 12 front axle from them a few years ago just in time to save it from the skip. They seem to make piston rings for everything from F1 cars to tractions engines and do small runs as a matter of course. The owners are very keen on vintage vehicles and I spent a very interesting hour or more with them.

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Stewart, I have sent an email.

Rgds

Mike

mike797

Post by mike797 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi There
What is it that you require, do you want someone to re-machine the various parts and you reassemble the engine. In the Essex area we have several companies that can do this, Smiths in Basildon, Field Engineering London and Gosnays in Romford.

Or do you want someone to strip and rebuild the engine for you (much more difficult). Gosnays used to do this but were very expensive.

These early engines are not very complicated to rebuild, just heavy. Also some parts can be hard to find, My 2ltr block had to be stitched that was not cheap. So far the rebuild of my engine has cost me £4500 that has included having it fully balanced but I assembled it. What model is your engine and is it complete, this would help you a lot.

mike797