At LAST!!!! Rover 10 Special Lives again

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
oilmagnet477

At LAST!!!! Rover 10 Special Lives again

Post by oilmagnet477 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:25 pm

After 2 years of a rollercoaster ride, from elation to despair, my 1933 10 special is running like a dream!!!

Having had the engine overhauled completely and getting it back together in the car and running, I thought I'd got her sorted but she's been running like a 3 legged dog, with absolutely no power, over heating and stalling.

She has been on a revisit to the genius that is Mr Chris Whitehead (who did the lions share of the overhaul) and he has sorted the carb and dizzy and reports that she went on her inaugural journey of 3 miles and pulled very well and hasn't missed a beat. She will have to stay there until I return from a week's trip to Ireland but on return I will collect her and then (weather allowing) we will hit the rallies. Hope to see some of you over the summer.

To anyone else with one of these cars (or anyone suffering anything similar) I'll list what was done to sort the problem:

1. Diaphragm in the dizzy was shot, therefore letting air into carb instead of advancing/retarding the engine.
2. The copper air pipe from the dizzy to the carb was too rigid and not allowing the dizzy to move freely. Solution add a flexible section of pipe to allow free movement.
3. New condenser
4. Critically, the carb was stripped and a small brass rod has be placed down the main jet (a long while ago). It had corroded and was basically stopping fuel getting to the engine.
This has been removed and all the jets/fuel/air ways cleaned. We've no idea why this would have been done but was clearly the main issue.
5. Dizzy timed up properly once diaphragm replaced.
6. Fuel tank drained and refilled with new petrol.

Apologies for my somewhat over happy mood but it is such a relief to finally have the old girl useable :)

Hope the detail is useful to others

Happy rovering

Ant

47p2

Re: At LAST!!!! Rover 10 Special Lives again

Post by 47p2 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:34 am

Glad to here you have her running smoothly again

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sun May 26, 2013 8:04 am

Well done, will we see you at the 60th birthday bash?

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Mon May 27, 2013 8:27 am

Well Done , Its a great feeling when everything comes together...there are highs and lows in all restorations / refurbishments...but when sorted there is a great feeling of achievement. I have been having the same difficulties with my newly aquired 10hp Coupe 1938 ' GEV ' which would not run without carburettor blowbacks and back firing, I tried every remedy to sort this problem, finally I took the carburettor off ' Snowdrop ' which had been rebuilt by Burlen Fuel Services and fitted to ' GEV ', hey presto, very much improved. On further checking I have discovered that general wear is probably responsible and have parcelled up ready to post to Burlen and have restored. I am hoping to attend the Jubilee Rally with ' GEV ' and ' Snowdrop '..as part of the ' Imperial Restorations ' stand...hope to see you there.
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124