Latest work on the 1929 Weymann

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
Dirkco

Latest work on the 1929 Weymann

Post by Dirkco » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:20 am

Hello All,

So I got back to work on the Weymann bodied car this summer and decided to redo the interior. So at the beginning of September we purchased an industrial sewing machine and 7 leather hides. I figured I had never done this before so why not go all in with a difficult job from the beginning! Lysiane (my wife) took up the stitching and I did the fitting, attached are the results, not bad for first timers.We also decided to deal with the bonnet as the fabric was pretty bad and no real way to repair it. I decided I would remove the fabric and paint it black to match the wings. But when I got the fabric off it was a total wash and I decided to remake the bonnet and sides. The problem (and there is always a problem) is that I do not have a roll wide enough to accommodate the length of the bonnet so I bent the small radius with the press brake making a new top die. The large radius I wrapped it around a barrel with straps and let it sit in the sun for a day and it worked quite well. Lastly, I decided that the interior metal work needed to be re nickeled so I sent it to the company plater who was excited to see something other than the normal come in and they did a fantastic job.

Of course work got in the in the way so it was on again and off again routine as you all know well. As it was nearing the biggest British car show of year with just 3 weeks to get it done we worked most nights and all weekends. The week of the show we were behind which is no surprise so we got in on Wednesday morning and stayed until Saturday to get it done. We took a 3rd place over all. I don’t think I would ever finish a project if it were not for the deadline of the show!!!!

All The Best for the Holidays
Dirk in the States

luli

Re: Latest work on the 1929 Weymann

Post by luli » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:24 am

Beautiful. A great job!
Luli
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:57 am

Looking good Dirk, well done. I thought all Weymann bodies were fabric covered on the outside but your appears to be painted. Am I wrong or is it really fabric covered, it just looks like it is painted?

I am thinking seriously about getting the leather replaced on the 16/50 seats, I have been reluctant to do it because so much of the car is original but the stitching is rotten, panels are coming apart from each other and some of the panels are falling apart so the stuffing is exposed. There is no way I could attempt this myself though, especially the buttoning. I am also worried about the pin beading, which is not available so if it gets damaged in the process I will be really stuck.

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:40 am

Hello Stewart,

The Weymann was comprehensively restored by Ray Arnett (an RSR member back then) in 1970 and he decided upon the green vinyl/cloth covering. I felt that while it would not be the color I would have chosen it was in very good condition and that he did it I should not violate this. So what your looking at is fabric and quite well done.

Best
Dirk in the States

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:48 am

It certainly looks like a great job and I agree it would be a shame to take it off unless there were a big problem with it. The Weymann bodied 16/50 in Coventry has a fabric covering that looks like leathercloth.

Regards