9/20 information

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
jp928

9/20 information

Post by jp928 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:25 am

Hopefully about to acquire a 1926 9/20 2 door with dicky seat, based on photos only so far. Partly restored, appears everything is present. Is there any information on these available please? There is a 12 page factory book on books.google (search for "9/20 H.P. Rover car"), but I cant work out how to download or read it. A German web page has some stats, and says it used a Binks carb, and info on these fitted to cars is non-existent.
Chassis and engine no is 50074.

Appreciate any info, links to pics of the model etc.

Thanks
John P
Australia.

GOY189

Re: 9/20 information

Post by GOY189 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:17 pm

John,

The 1926 9/20 handbook mentions that Touring models as distinct from Sports models were fitted with a Smith's single jet carb. We know of the car but the records we have, which came from previous owners are limited in respect of whether it is a colonial or sports model.

Let me know if we can be of further help

Regards

Mike Maher
Chairman, Rover Sports Register

jp928

Post by jp928 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:28 am

Mike,
Thanks. Inspection shows the car has a Smiths Carb on it, so you are correct. Fortunately the seller has some excellent original documentation - Use and Maintenance Manual, a Parts Book, and some wiring diagrams, so I should be able to reconstruct all the missing bits, and be able to get everything back into correct adjustment. Now I need to start hunting for a radiator mascot (Preferably a standing viking, but a head would do) and a dashboard badge of the period. Almost everything has already been overhauled - engine, gearbox, diff (new crown made!), front axle, body timber replaced etc. Its a 4 wheel brake model , which is a bonus.

Re the standing viking mascots, has anybody there looked into having one scanned and reproduced via 3D printing? With enough interest it could be economic, considering their rarity.

thanks
John

jp928

Post by jp928 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:58 am

Back again, with car stashed in the garage. Bonus - it came with a standing Viking mascot! Just need to make a spear and its perfect. Have a Brass radiator cap that statue fits on and looks terrific.
Main issues are the internal flooring, toe board and wiring. I have wiring diagram, so thats doable. Also have a parts book and a sort of owners manual - both of which I have scanned to pdf files - these are too big to email, but I am sure a way could be found to share them.
Previous restorer had almost everything overhauled - engine, gearbox, diff (new worm wheel made!), steering box, brakes, and the electrical equipment. Unfortunately he had it stored near the sea so there is some rust on exposed bare metal. The bodywork and much of the woodwork has been rebuilt. There are some parts of the hood present, but I am anticipating some financial pain getting that replaced.
The speedo, clock, main electric switch, solenoid, dash light, number plate light have all been restored and are beautiful. There are pics at
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/johnp ... t=3&page=1
The blue car belongs to the gent who brokered my purchase, so I will be taking lots of pics of it!

Missing bits - I have nothing at all in the throttle pedal area - no linkage, pedal or cross shaft, no choke rod. The front brake rods are strangely bent all over their length, not sure what the best solution is there. There are some oil pipes with taper seats and tube nuts that seem to be 7/16 UNF (20tpi), but the oil pressure gauge is 1/8 BSP thread (straight)???

More as it happens. If anybody has anything they can share it will be much appreciated.

jp

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi John,

Please can you share the pdf files? I have pm'd you. btw there are a number of firms in the UK who sell adapters and they may have UNF to BSP.

Best regards

Mike

jp928

Post by jp928 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:18 am

Mike,
There is a thread of what I am doing at
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/ph ... cbd4fa6fe4

I sorted out the fuel connection with a "5/16 compression" nut - 1/2"x24tpi. One issue I am trying to work around is the nut to hold the steering wheel on to the shaft - looks like 7/8x18tpi, and about the only thing I can find in that size is a Jeep sump plug from the 60s! These appear on ebAY at prices from $3.60 to $91, plus a small fortune in freight.

Still looking for period sidelights and taillights - car came with 2 Rotax sidelights, but their mounting is wrong for the mudguards fitted. I have a Lucas AT201 tail/number plate light, but its 'nut' to hold the spring and wire in is mangled, so looking for a decent one of these as well.

This car has an alloy fan of 3 blades, so it should be a 'colonial' model - without cowling I cant see the fan being of much use though.

thanks
John

jp928

Post by jp928 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:13 am

After a struggle diagnosing the problem, its alive! Magneto drive flange was barely done up, and was out some 70d. Have had several runs now, much easier with a choke cable rigged up. Last run must have been over a minute, as the radiator got a bit of heat in it. Blipping the throttle I saw 50psi on the oil pressure, so I might back that pressure down a bit. Saw some current coming out of the dynamo, but not too worried about that yet - at least it means the cut-out is closing, I think....

jp

p2roverman

Post by p2roverman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:38 pm

John
I've a fair collection of 9/20 documentation here in the UK, but I hope by now you will have been in contact with other 9/20 owners in Australia, where there are far more survivors of this model than in the UK. Most of the issues with them will have been solved locally, and it is a great shame that one of the model experts, Craig Lukeman, died so recently and unexpectedly. In fact it may be one of his cars that you have acquired, please let me know, as, being the RSR's vintage registrar, I try to keep a record of all surviving vintage Rovers.
Mike

jp928

Post by jp928 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:52 am

Mike,

Yes, this is an ex Craig Lukeman car - chassis (and engine) no 50074.
I have now solved the steering wheel bolt with some local help cutting me a thread - 27/32x18tpi.
One piece of data I need is the diff ratio - the speedo drive does not seem correct in terms of the revs/mile in the speedo head (may not be original speedo). Instrument repair man tells me the head is 2850 rev/mi. By doing some turning and counting I made the diff 5.8 (the 10/25 is 5.2 I think), which gives 4176 revs of propshaft/mile, using 4.50x19 tyres . There is a 120mm wheel on a bracket by the gearbox, driven by an O ring from the prop shaft, that drives the speedo cable, a reduction of 4.8:1, giving 870 cable revs/mile. So I think I need a cable step UP of 3.276 . If my diff ratio is wrong, these calulations will be wrong!

Do you have any info on other 9s here in Oz please? I know a David Williamson local to me has one, and Rob in Queensland.

thanks
john

jp928

Post by jp928 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:56 am

I now have the car starting well and running OK, if getting a bit hotter than I expected - tight new engine maybe? Initial starting problems were caused by the magneto being a LONG way off, and its drive being loose. Almost all the wiring is done except the rear lights, which I have yet to decide on. All the floorboards are now done (19mm marine ply), steering wheel mounted, most instruments fitted. Speedo cable that came with car was the wrong type and had to be modified.
Desperation time - I have only a few parts of the hood - 2 bows useful only as patterns, and the side expand/contract metalwork, but none of the ironwork that mounts to the body. Does anybody have any pics of the ironmongery on the ends of the bows, or even said metal please? As below...Or any pics of hood, seats and interior on a 2 seater 9, or even a 10 should be similar in this area ?
thanks
jp