1929 Rover 10 Cylinder Head Torque Setting

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
Stuart7

1929 Rover 10 Cylinder Head Torque Setting

Post by Stuart7 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 am

Hi,
I guess the title says it all. I'm about to rebuild the top end of the engine and am unsure of the correct torque for the cylinder head bolts. Has anybody got any info that might be useful?
I have left the pistons attached and lifted the cylinders off. My plan is to lower the cylinders back onto the pistons and get the piston and rings to enter the bores. I expect it to be tricky but has anyone succeeded in assembling the top end this way? I'd be interested in hearing what everybody thinks.
Regards,
Stuart.

ColinDelage

Re: 1929 Rover 10 Cylinder Head Torque Setting

Post by ColinDelage » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:53 am

Hi Stuart,
I will have a look to see if there is any information that came with my car. The original owner corresponded with Rover right through to the 50’s and there are various bits of service info Rover sent him, hopefully one on cylinder head torque, (he owned it till the mid 70’s)

It makes sense the way you have lifted the block, I’ve done this a few times on Austin 7’s you just need to make sure you have some equal thickness spacers to hold the block up while you fit the first two pistons, then make sure everything is square when you lower the block onto the final two.

Do you know if you can email through this forum? It might be easier to email rather than post anything I find.

Colin