1934 Rover 12 headlight bulbs

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
digcot65

1934 Rover 12 headlight bulbs

Post by digcot65 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Hello does any one know where I can buy a headlight bulb for my Rover 12 from .The pins are the same on both sides,not off set ,the bulb I have is also marked top to show which way to be fitted as there are two ways Len
Attachments
DSCF0153.JPG
DSCF0153.JPG (113.3 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
DSCF0152.JPG
DSCF0152.JPG (99.6 KiB) Viewed 4089 times

RobHomewood

Re: 1934 Rover 12 headlight bulbs

Post by RobHomewood » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:02 pm

I wonder if that bulb is original? On my P2 the headlights had a single filament bulb and this went out when the dip was switched turning on the pass lamp. The effect must have been pretty inadequate I think! P2 headlights I know have often been changed to twin filament dipping bulbs later in life. I dont know but I would be surprised if the earlier P1's would have had twin filament dipping bulbs. I am sure someone who knows P1's will correct me if I am wrong
Rob

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:38 am

According to the circuit,the one headlight bulb has a double filament,the other only one.So when it was dipped the two headlight shone,but on head the nearside bulb had both filaments on.I think someone must have changed mine as both headlight bulbs are wired for two filaments,which would make it slightly brighter. Be interesting once restored to see what the headlights are like Fortunately can`t see it being used much in the dark .The headlights now have good reflectors and Iv`e just sent the shells to be rechromed.I`m trying a new place,as my usual chromer is off ill .Len
Attachments
DSCF0155.JPG
DSCF0155.JPG (164.94 KiB) Viewed 4073 times

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:39 am

As they were

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am

Thats interesting. So are the lenses of the headlights different for one having 2 filaments and the other only one?
I have restored mine from the 50's adapter dipping conversions to the original full size lenses designed for single filament bulbs but kept the dual dipping bulbs. This means I dont get a very good focus/pattern on either dipped or main beam as the lens was designed for single beam but like you I dont envisage much if any night driving and prefer the car to look right. So it would be curious if your headlights had the same lens.......
Rob

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:16 am

I havent refitted the headlights yet as Im waiting for the shells to be rechromed.I think it will have been modified at sometime as the connectors in both ,take double filament bulbs The bulbs are marked top on the casing so that the beam is correct,and they can be moved slightly back or forward to adjust the beam .We will see when they are assembled

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:31 pm

Rob,

My Tourer has headlights wired like yours with the two main lamps being the main beam and the one underneath the dip. I always remember them being that way as a child and left them like that when I restored the car. The main beam isn’t too bad but the single dip is pretty poor. The worrying bit is when the dip switch is operated and there is a moment of darkness during the changeover. All part of the character but, like you, I don’t do much night driving!

Len, your reflectors look good. Were they expensive to get done? On my P2 the original headlights shells needed re-chroming and the reflectors were past it too. One of the shells had also been damaged in a long ago accident. In all I decided not to use them and bought reproduction lights. However, I’ve since managed to get hold of another shell so restoring the old lamps is more feasible. I’d be interested to know who you found to do yours if you think they are good.
Regarding your lights, I suspect the twin filament bulb was originally in the near side lamp with a single on the off side. Dipped would be just the near side on, while main would be the off side together with the other filament on the near side. Pretty much the same as mine and Rob’s with the painful switch over of momentary darkness!
It might be worth looking at LED replacement headlight bulbs. Not something I’ve done but it would greatly reduce the current through the light switches and dip switch. Also less drain on the battery and Dynamo.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

luli

Post by luli » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 pm

The deeping regulations were different in Britain and in other countries. While in Britain deeping meant switching from one headlight to the pass light, it meant turning down the other - and for that it was mounted on a special solenoid. In other countries both headlights had dual filament bulbs. Therefor the export cars ("r" prefix) had different circuit and equipment than the home cars.
See more here: https://wp.me/pXLKy-1dS
And on Leds here: https://wp.me/pXLKy-3Lj and here: https://wp.me/pXLKy-4qq
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 am

Thanks for reply ,I had the headlight reflectors rechromed which I believe is illegal ,they should be resilvered which is about £80 to £100 each .But since it is unlikely I will ever use the car at night,it was for show purposes only .They costs about £40 the pair to be rechromed .by my usual rechromers,who have done just about everything on the car now

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 am

Hello I forgot to add ,the usual chromer is away ill so I thought I would try another one out ,to get the headlight shells rechromed ,which is in the centre of a not very great area.However all of the reviews on the chromers were excellent so Iv`e taken them in to be rechromed,they quoted £110 for the pair which seem every reasonable ,as they are a fair size.I will have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for them back so I`ll show a photo when I get them .Always best to have more than one place to go to,but the original one I have been going to for over 20 years.and no complaints.Len