Engine Oil?

wooster

Engine Oil?

Post by wooster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 pm

My top end rebuild is nearing completion and before I hit the road I want to change the engine oil. Anyone got any recommendations?
Cheers
Rich
_______
'39 P2 '14' six-light

dhbuchanan

Re: Engine Oil?

Post by dhbuchanan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Penrite lubrication products are excellent, having been developed specifically for our sort of cars in the challenging conditions of Australia. The correct one from the range for the P2 engine is Penrite Shelsley Light 20W 60 if all your seals are tight; Shelsley Medium 25W 70 if your engine is a bit of a leaker.
My supplies come from the MG Owners' Club in Peterborough who run a very efficient postal service. Beware of the oils sold suspiciously cheaply at some large rallies and auto jumbles. They claim to be right for prewar cars, but there could be anything in those cans, even re-processed oil, and you wouldn't know it until serious trouble develops under the bonnet. There is no room for economy when it comes to oil for your classic engine: always use a premium lubricant.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.

wooster

Post by wooster » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks for that. All I have to do now is find the oil filter!!
Cheers
Rich
_______
'39 P2 '14' six-light

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:29 am

It is screwed into the side of the oil pan, be careful when you screw it back in
to make sure you don't cross thread it and get it all lined up correctly.
It's a gauze bypass filter, just wash it out in parts cleaner or paraffin.
Some engines have been converted to have a filter on the side of the engine,
but your car should have one in the sump.
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)

wooster

Post by wooster » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks Chris.
Cheers
Rich
_______
'39 P2 '14' six-light

revvin18

Post by revvin18 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:46 pm

I use a cheap HD 30 from my local spares shop , no issues to date on several older cars covering low annual mileage , others I have used the cheapest 20/50 I can find then a gloopy "STP" type additive as modern 20/50 appears to be a bit thin for our older engines .
Thoughts from other members invited
regards
Revvin

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:03 am

The formulations required for modern vehicles are very different from those needed for older vehicles. Oils for modern engines comply with the latest API ratings of SN/CF and specific ACEA and OEM specifications dealing with fuel efficiency, extended drain intervals and aftermarket exhaust treatment systems and are specifically designed for the modern engine needs.

A classic car engine however, can have the opposite characteristics with cork/graphite/rope seals, low pressure gear driven oil pumps, larger oil galleries with greater dependence on "splash" and "cling" lubrication, lower revving with larger machine clearances. Such a widely different engine design can demand a totally different lubricant and "Classic Oil" ranges offer formulations for older vehicles that have been specially blended for the work they have to do.

So don't go out and buy some "super duper" expensive oil with lots of additives, just stick to basic formulated well known classic oils.
Don't be tempted to buy cheap oil from brands that you've never heard of, as they could be anything.

See info about classic vehicles from various oil companies:
http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kin ... -oils.html
http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive ... ne-oil.asp

A good supplier in the UK for the above Classic Oils
http://www.classic-oils.net/ http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel ... l-20w50-5l
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)