P2 headlamp pattern

RobHomewood

P2 headlamp pattern

Post by RobHomewood » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Having avoided driving my P2 in the dark since I have had it I found myself in the dark country lanes recently when my modern car wouldn't start and the Rover saved the day. Although I managed to get home the headlamp pattern was pretty awful on main or dip. Later I tried to adjust the beam direction but the resulting light pattern was not good and not in focus. Dipped beam seemed to be better than main though.

I have the 8" headlamp lenses with the U-shaped pattern which I think is the original set up Image
whilst using the previously fitted dual filament dipping bulb and holder.
I have belatedly realised that as the Lucas lens was not made for dipping bulbs I may never be able to get a decent light pattern but can anyone make any suggestions please? I believe that on this lamp a better focus may be possible by adjusting the position of the bulb holder within the reflector. Does anyone have any guide on how to achieve the correct adjustment?

I have edited the post to show all images - moderator

RobHomewood

Re: P2 headlamp pattern

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:09 am

One of the images seems to have been lost when the moderator edited. Sorry if I am putting in the images incorrectly!
Here is the image of the main beam pattern

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:27 pm

The handbook gives the adjustment procedure and it's just a matter of covering over one headlight and adjusting the other. Make sure the filaments are horizontal and move the bulb holder in and out without the lens to get an even circle of light.

This is best done at night against the garage door or flat wall and the headlamp must be vertical not tipped up down or sideways.

The lens is not designed for a dipped beam in a modern way ie a left side kickup and a downward tilt but it will give a reasonable light. You should be using the pass lamp as well though
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks for that Phil
How did I manage to miss that part of the handbook? It sounds like a hit and miss arragement but I'll have a go.
The pass light has previously been wired separately to act as a fog/spotlight so I dont want to disturb that at this point
regards
Rob

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Not really hit and miss if the correct procedure is followed. Plug & Play did not exist then - it's so refreshing to DIY - that is the joy of classic car motoring. As you have found out modern cars fail to totally proceed and worse come to a dead stop as well. It was amusing in the end this week after being stuck in a jam driving home from work finding out that a new 18 reg SUV of excessively unattractive styling from "abroad" had come to a dead stop in the middle of a dual lane road in rush hour Derby (which is no less parochial from driving attitude than the North Circular in Wimbledon week from memory). I deftly nipped past in our 1958 S2 Land Rover (4x4 SUV in 2018 I suppose)

If you need extra illumination on dip just switch on the pass light as Rover intended but this was then considered sufficient on its own on unlit roads when encountering oncoming traffic.

Presumably, you now have the option to use the pass light with main or dip beams. The Dynamo will just about take the load even though Rover Co played safe and prevented it.

In town, then, with what was considered well lit electric street lighting drivers used sidelights only. Even today I think the use of dip beams in town to be far more unsafe with modern street lighting through glare especially in the wet. Not all things are improvements.

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Phil I agree that it is too hazardous to rely on sidelughts only in town or country these days with or without a pass lamp but when I said 'hit and miss' I meant the method of focussing the headlamps. As I see it you have to make a little adjustment, then try it out, then adjust again, try again until you get a reasonable beam. But there is no exact way to measure whether you have got the focus absolutely correct.
My pass light has actually been wired so that it can only be on with dipped headlamps but even so the ammeter hits the stops when they are on together. The lighting part of the wiring loom is mostly original and a bit ropy to be honest. However I dont think I am quite ready yet to bite the bullet on rewiring as the steering column rewiring is involved etc etc.
regards
Rob

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:51 pm

You do not need to refit the reflector to test the focus - just hold it vertical in approx the same height and distance as it would be on the car. It does take very little time but do not expect too much from 36w! LED's may offer a useful gain as they are done in BA15D caps

The ammeter should not hit the stops with that load - I assume you mean when the dynamo is not charging as it should keep up if everything is in order ie Dynamo, regulator, switches and wiring

As to wiring - most of mine behind the dash is the original and as such 80 years old! It is not too good either but I have installed extra fusing and also a battery cutoff switch which is always used when I leave the car on its own. I fitted this in 1996 when we bought the car.

What model do you have?

dhbuchanan

Post by dhbuchanan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 pm

The easy way to avoid a great deal of headlight angst is to fit LED bulbs straight into the Lucas bulbholders. The light is amazingly bright- puts halogens in the shade- and the bulbs produce hardly a deflection of the ammeter needle. The other bonus is that you will no longer be dazzled by the oncoming lights of modern cars- the worst offenders being the Xenon merchants- as your eyes will already be accustomed to the very bright light coming from your own lamps.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 am

I think I will try some LEDS. Do they dip?

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/inde ... ductId=482

Pricey and negative earth although conversion of the car is no real bother

dhbuchanan

Post by dhbuchanan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 am

They dip in the same way as dual-filament incandescent and halogen bulbs dip. I had no polarity issues whatever with the ones I bought from Classic Dynamo and Regulator Conversions: www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com
At around £25 each they're expensive, yes, but when you consider that this is a vital safety issue and that there is no prospect of a significant improvement in the state of our potholed,rutted roads no matter how much tax the profligate bankrollers of the welfare state sqeeze out of us, then it's worth every penny. Driving our cars at night, you now need to see better than ever before. As in the case of fitting radial tyres, flashing indicators to supplement semaphores and using Mike Couldry's kit to upgrade to tubular shockers on your front beam axle, these bulbs are an investment in safety while driving on our appalling, worsening roads.
An added bonus is that being solid state and generating hardly any heat, LED bulbs are likely to last far, far longer than the dimmer alternatives.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.