Radiator water overflow

MichaelKeay

Radiator water overflow

Post by MichaelKeay » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 am

Just back from a short 10km trip and noticed quite a bit of water pouring out of a narrow pipe underneath engine of my 47P2 16hp. My initial reaction was that this is due to water expansion from a hot radiator but with engine still running the radiator top is not too hot to touch it really gets hot once engine turned off before natural cooling.
I know I’m showing my ignorance here, but just wonder is this due to an over full radiator. I always top up radiator before and trip, short or long. Radiator is in good condition and top and bottom hoses well fitted. Water pump works perfectly no leaks. Need I worry? or do I have a more serious problem. Im confident with most areas of the P2 but shy away abit with radiators and water pumps!
My wife and I are travelling to Uk from NZ next week and hope to catch up with Mike Coudrey who, no doubt will have a part if I need one.

Phil - Nottingham

Re: Radiator water overflow

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:54 pm

What point you actually top up to? An expansion space is essential on the unpressurised system. Let it find its own steady level and top to that. I top up our 16 approx twice a year
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

MichaelKeay

Post by MichaelKeay » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks Phil. I learnt a good lesson. I have been over filling.

Mike P2.47

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Michael,

I hope that you have resolved your problem by adjusting the radiator water level.

However, if this hasn't done the trick you may want to check that your thermostat isn't sticking closed. After a 10km run, I'd have expected it to have boiled up long before you got home if this were the case but it is another possible explanation. I'm not familiar with the 16hp P2; is the thermostat housing on the rear of the radiator? On my 12 P1 if the thermostat fails to open - either because it is stuck or if there is insufficient water around it to activate it - then the water will boil in the engine and back feed into the radiator when the engine is turned off. This then results in water pouring out of the overflow pipe and/or the radiator cap. However, the water is quite cold as it hasn't circulated the engine. For this reason it is important to keep the radiator quite full, but with the right amount for expansion! I think that some owners leave the thermostat out for this reason, but I've yet to go down that route.

Good luck with your car.

Tony Gilbert.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

luli

Post by luli » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:11 pm

1947 water pumps and thermostats are different than 1936, and may cause some other complications, See more here :https://wp.me/pXLKy-1so
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

MichaelKeay

Post by MichaelKeay » Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 am

Thank you Tony. I’m now firmly of the opinion that I was being over cautious in topping up the radiator when it was not necessary to do so. Hopefully now found right level for expansion.. I gave my P2 a 50km run early April, no problem and of course no boiling as one would expect if thermostat was jammed. Sorry for late reply, am currently in the UK on holiday until mid June, hope to catch up with Mike Coudrey of Meteor Spares this week. May need to buy another suit case for parts, mind you my wife is with me and she will no double apply “her handbrake”

MikeP247