Cross Ply tyres Vs Radial Ply tyres

MichaelKeay

Cross Ply tyres Vs Radial Ply tyres

Post by MichaelKeay » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:17 am

A recent discussion with other local Rover friends was the subject of Cross Ply tyres Vs Radial Ply for our post war Rovers P2 and P3 plus one chap had a P4. It was generally agreed that cross Ply was best for our cars although one opinion was the radial gave a far better road ride with less steering wander.. Radial Ply were first produced by Michelin in 1948 so obviously not around when my 47 P2 was made. Personally I wish to remain authentic however I could be swayed towards Radial for a safer ride. As I’m due to look at replacing my current tyre spec is 4 Ply 5.25 - 5.50. (17) I would be interested to hear from other members opinions on the matter. With thanks in advance.

Mike P2 47

Phil - Nottingham

Re: Cross Ply tyres Vs Radial Ply tyres

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:03 pm

As far as I know there is no radial equivalent for the 17" wheels although there may still the taxi version to the 16" wheels fitted to the last of the P3's. Vintage and North Hants Tyres both sell X plies
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:35 am

This topic comes up occasionally, and there is an alternative in the UK, but the tyres are expensive and a brief internet search suggests that the US made 17 inch radials in NZ are very expensive.
http://www.veteranvintagecars.co.nz list 5.50R17” Excelsior Stahl Sport 89S M+S 8PR t/t black at $637.10 each.

I know Adrian Chandler has considered 17 inch radials, he may have some useful information. Howard Buchnanan's post from 2016 follows, the discussion was around Radials on P3s and it strayed into P2s. Howard has a 1940 20hp drop head coupe.
"Re: P3 Tyres Postby dhbuchanan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:37 am
Your questions about P2 5.50X17 radials are easily answered,Tim, as radial replacements for crossplies are now big business in the tyre world. So far as I am aware, North Hants Tyres of Henry John House, 2, Ivy Road, Aldershot, Hants.GU12 4TX ; Tel.01252 318666; email: sales@northantstyres.com still have a UK monopoly in the supply of U.S. made Excelsior Sport Radial tyres. 5.50 R 17 is currently listed at £210.60+ VAT, so £252.72 each excluding delivery. Northants Tyres' classified ad. in Freewheel offers RSR members a 10% discount. I saved the expensive carriage by picking the tyres up on the way back from holiday.

Yes, you do need inner tubes, if like me you're riding on wire wheels with pressed steel rolled-edge rims. Play safe by fitting Michelin heavy duty. With the full pressed steel Easiclean type wheel, tubes may not be needed with radials- I don't know.

What I do know, from experience over the last two years, is that on radials the appalling rutting caused by HGVs in the left-hand lane of so many unrepaired roads in Britain is no longer causing my P2 both to tramline and wander all over the place to the detriment of road safety."

Hope that this helps
Mike

MichaelKeay

Post by MichaelKeay » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:24 pm

Many thanks Mike, I can get new cross Ply 17 ex importer from Tauranga NZ, BUT your last comment re tram lining is what I’m trying to avoid. My steering is excellent on smooth tarmac but like Uk our love affair with trucks Vs Rail has made many of our roads uncomfortable and also the large stone chip relay by cost conscious Town and City councils does not help. My cars tyres are in good nick pass MOT no problems but they are of a tread mixture, Firestone and India. They have a made in NZ stamp , Firestone and India left these shores years ago so whilst my tyres look ok I fear they are past use by date irrespective of tread depth. Thanks again, good topic.

Mike 47P2

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:08 am

Hi, I purchased new Firestone tyres for my P2 a few years ago from my local tyre shop in Kaiapoi NZ. They were around $300 each.I am in Chch if you wish to contact me. I have just returned home from the Marlborough Sounds via Blenheim! Phil

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Hello Michael,

Indeed there are radial tires available for 17” wheels from Coker tire
Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial.

I can tell you that your car will be transformed into a much better driving vehicle. Those who say that crossplys are better
have not driven on them. I have radials on my Cyclops and P3 and I will never go back to crossplys.

The differences:
No low speed shake
No hunting on worn road ways
Better cornering and better handeling
Longer wearing so much longer life
Better for long term storage
Better on wet roads

I hearty recommend going over to radials

All the Best for the New Year
Dirk in the States

David2021

Post by David2021 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Reviving a very old thread!
Looking around there appears to be a supply of 165.70 r17 that might be a suitable replacement for 5.00/5.25 17 cross plies
Does anyone know the rim width on our wheels? As I recall 165's fitted 4.5/5.5" rims These tyres are described as "van" or " Taxi" and are without doubt not the most sophisticated, probably oriental tyres, but better than elderly (or even new) cross-plies that are really alarming when they find white lines or traffic grooves. Price around £320 for four. They were about the highest aspect ratio I could find. I will try & find the overall diameter to see how it compares to the Cross-plies, gearing is low enough already!

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:14 pm

Never heard about a 17" radial for P2s but I have no problems driving on newish X plies in our P2.

I have tried X plies in P4s and P5s and others 30 years ago and hope never to do so again.

I really do not see the benefits of X plies in a prewar car
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

luli

Post by luli » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:36 pm

I have replaced my cross ply 17X550 by 17R550 radials. Both ride comfort and ease of steering markedly improved. (and yes, it is recognized by the Israeli transportation ministry (which is more conservative then conservative) as a legal equivalent). See also the following:
https://wp.me/pXLKy-4zj
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYm7XEi50y0
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

David2021

Post by David2021 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks Luli
I think that the description is maybe an Americanism. 550R17. More usual here is 165(etc)followed by the aspect-height- 70 then the wheel diameter.
I believe the 5.25/5.50 etc did refer to the wheel width, but someone may know ?
If this is the case then a 165 - 175 17" Radial will fit fine on the Rover wheel. The main issue then the tyre height which will determine its diameter. Radials tend to have "lower" sidewalls than X plies.
I am trying to find the overall diameter of these 165-70-R17.
I will keep you all posted!
David