Fourteen resurrection!!

mbishton

Re: Fourteen resurrection!!

Post by mbishton » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 am

Thank you both guys - massively helpful.

I'm pleased I've got the 20w/50 classic oil arriving today as this sounds a lot more suitable as you mention in your post. All really helpful info.
It's also helpful to know that the gauze is from the oil pump. I will clean it out with petrol in a bucket before going back in, as you suggest.

OK, so I assume anything less than 100 psi isn't satisfactory. I've had the rocker cover off and noticed all of them operating valves as they should but as you say, it would well be a decoke that is required (amazing how you forget about things like this when you've worked at McLaren for the last 10 years and everything is beyond modern!!) I'm secretly hoping that a gentle tick over up to temperature might help things along slightly but will do a compression test on it before actually trying to fire it up.

You're right - I think either way, I will have the head off and get it all cleaned up, just for peace of mind as you never know what you might find! I wonder, can these heads be rebuilt with hardened valve seats to cope with modern fuels? If not, I'm more than happy to use some Valvemaster lead replacement in each tank when it comes to it.
Last edited by mbishton on Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbishton

Post by mbishton » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:24 am

Forum Admin wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:39 pm
I have edited the above post to correctly show image
Thank you!

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:31 pm

If you are taking the head off it would be worthwhile taking the timing chain cover off and making sure that the oil sprayer is clear, they have a habit of blocking up and if that happens there will be no lubrication to the timing chain.

mbishton

Post by mbishton » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:54 pm

I will do, thanks for the helpful tip!