P2 tourer at Brightwells

Willem

P2 tourer at Brightwells

Post by Willem » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Brightwells have a P2 tourer (AJV14) coming up for sale at their next classic motoring sale, sale is from Saturday the 23rd to Wednesday the 27th of March. The guide price seems very low, 5,000 to 8,000 but it does need a bit of TLC by the look of things, I will be going to have a look on the viewing days as it is very close to me, if anyone wants me to take photos of any particular part of the vehicle let me know.
The sale has nothing to do with me, just to make that clear.

Willem
Rover 12 Tourer, 1936
Range rover L322, 2009

SHyslop

Re: P2 tourer at Brightwells

Post by SHyslop » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:03 pm

An interesting project, so that makes at least 6 of these post war tourers for sale at present? Almost one for each day of the week. The estimate is probably a good reflection of the dismally depressed state of the market at present, recent auction sales of most pre war or pre war looking cars averaging 70% of the bottom estimate for those that sell. I think I'm out as I've just bought a P1 tourer but if it had been a 1939-1947 black 16SS in good order.......(hint hint)

Willem

Post by Willem » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:53 pm

After 67 bids the car comfortably exceeded the estimate, 5000-8000, and sold for 10.200, not a huge amount but encouraging to see that it was one of the very few cars that exceeded the higher estimate. As projects go it wouldn't be too much work to have serviceable vehicle but to get it to a high standard would take a fair bit of work and cash. Not mentioned in the catalogue was the amount of spare parts that came with the vehicle, front axle, head and various dials and boxes. It will be nice to think the car will be on the road again in the near future.
Will
Rover 12 Tourer, 1936
Range rover L322, 2009

David2021

Post by David2021 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

That’s the plan! :D
It appears to be pretty unmolested, not rebuilt. Some useful spares, some new, but a few potential boat anchors!
I will post an update when I have had a good look, and..I hope… get it running.

Willem

Post by Willem » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

That's brilliant David, good luck with the recommissioning.
Rover 12 Tourer, 1936
Range rover L322, 2009

SHyslop

Post by SHyslop » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

Dear David,
That's super that it has gone your way, it looks like a very do-able proposition. If you should want a recommendation for someone who has done two Rover interiors for me "as new", send me a message and I'll pass on his details, although it looks as if yours will sort up quite nicely. It's really good that it does appear very original as the downside of a lot is when the colours are a mismatch and someone has "had a go" already.

Your purchase of this does reinforce my view that the strongest money at present is from existing owners of a marque, who are aware of their good points and so dig a little deeper than the newcomer. Fewer of us are owning more cars, as space allows. My wife says our latest buy is the last though, because the bank gave her such a hard time over why we were transferring the money involved. Anything else will just have to be cash.

I had a chap here last week who came to look at a pre war running driving all-together car (non Rover) I have for sale at just over £5000. He spent 7 hours looking but decided it was more complicated than the Triumph Herald he'd been used to. The shape of things to come.......

David2021

Post by David2021 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

I won’t be reupholstering, but the carpets are probably finest sitting room,so do need replacing! The driver door card looks as it has kept a family of mice well fed, so will need attention,it looks like a green Rexine, I have seen Rexine remanufactured when I was doing an early Austin Seven,but the price was staggering.I am not rushing into it.

David2021

Re: P2 tourer AJV14 from Brightwells March 2024

Post by David2021 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:08 pm

Now I have the car (and the keys - don't ask).
It appears very original...no sign of previous restoration., just lots of use and (I hope) regular maintenance.. Many small differences to my other car (no 110). For example in the boot area there is a Rexine fabric cover (not quite sure what it covers, but it's definitely original! I am photographing stuff as I work my way round the car.
The engine spun over nicely with a proper battery and the plugs out & a decent oil pressure showed up. Sparks at the plugs too. No fuel in the tank (none at all!) but the SU pump works fine. I had the engine running under it's own power for about a minute using a home made fuel feed. Now the starter solenoid goes clunk, but won't engage...Grr. Cooling system looks "challenging".
Most things work, but there are quite a few "Known Unknowns!"
The previous owner, since the 60's, was an interesting chap called JA (Tony) Reeves. He was a very keen motorist and clearly loved his Tourer. The was a pile of " Freewheels" with the car & I found a letter from him in Edition 100 (April 1970) where he said he used the Rover to tow his (very light!) Cooper Norton 500 racer to hill climbs …He won the British 500 Hill Climb Trophy apparently, so no mean competitor. A long shot, but does anyone remember him? He also had a 20 year old Riley 1.1/2 (in Mint condition!) and had owned the Rover for10 years (in 1970) and was also restoring a 1929 Singer Junior. He lived in Ross on Wye until he died, I think last year. His cap, gloves and umbrella came with the car!
I will try and save as much of the interior as I can, but much plywood will have to be renewed as it is very brittle and delaminating. does anyone have advice on sourcing suitable ply? It looks like 5/32 (4mm), presumably Marine grade hardwood ply?
More instalments to follow......

David2021

Post by David2021 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:18 pm

Quick update
Flushed the fuel system with fresh fuel and, as it is taxed & insured now, I took it round the block. Starts,stops & steers. All good news. I'll take it for a run over the weekend😆

David2021

Post by David2021 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 am

Now with fresh SAE30 and a clean strainer I have done about 20 miles.Initially not willing to run on all four, but it cleared and is going pretty well. Tyres are very hard and white lines on the road are quite scary! This was the same on the other tourer. New tyres transformed it. Brakes are fine, clutch is smooth. I haven’t been brave enough to try the freewheel! Next week I will have a discussion with my local trimmer about remaking the one awful door card. I should be able to save most of the rest of the rexine trim apart from the drivers door. At sometime past it was painted and has shrunk over the years, but is saveable although some ply will have to be replaced. I can get the sections of carpet needed from borrowed original tourer carpet samples. The seat leather is very dry, so I am feeding it. The loose drivers door is not great, but I think will be fixable.
I have had a peer through the bulkhead access panels and the behind dash area looks challenging 😀. Some surprises …. The access panel sits on a 1/2” min thickness gasket and has very thick sound deadening material glued to it. Very original…the cheese head screws I think are brass!