Changing Radius Arm rubbers

GOY189

Changing Radius Arm rubbers

Post by GOY189 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Does anyone have any tips for changing the golf ball like rubbers on the chassis end of the Radius arms on a P3? Is it necessary to strip the suspension to change them, or can it be done by lowering the chassis end of the radius arm?

Mike

paul williams

Re: Changing Radius Arm rubbers

Post by paul williams » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 am

Hi Mike,

I have done this a couple of times, not on a P3 but a P4. It is possible to do it in situ without removing anything else. The main problem is relocating the cups after the new rubber has gone in. You need a couple of good jacks, to lift the arm and to manoeuvre it sideways to locate, the wheel has to be off the floor but jackable as well. On a P4 it is possible to change all the rubber bits without dismantling the whole suspension.

Hope that helps, didnt know you had a P3 :D :D

Paul

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

neil.henderson

Post by neil.henderson » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:14 am

I recently changed both of the rubbers at the end of the radius arms on my P3. I found it to be really simple (compared to some of the other jobs!).
Yes, you need to jack the front of the car up, I put axle stands under the chassis on both sides.
Be careful of overtightening things - the housings that the rubbers sit in are aluminium & anything aluminium is prone to thread stripping.
I put rubber grease on the metal ball on the end of the radius arm to help the rubber slide over it when putting the new one on - it went on easily.
The front end feel a lot less shoogly now.

Regards Neil Henderson

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Neil / Paul

Many thanks for your comments and advice. I've now changed both of the rubbers.
The worst problem I found was removing and replacing the bolts on the support bracket
that goes on to the chassis. After 60+ years of road dirt / salt and general rusting
its not surprising the nuts & bolts objected to being disturbed.

Bye for now, Chris C.

1939 - P2 Rover 14 six light
1949 - P3 Rover 75 six light
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)