Solex carb jets, P3 75

djm16

Solex carb jets, P3 75

Post by djm16 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:53 am

I have no history on this car but the carb clearly is not set up correctly.

Setting the idle mixture as advised causes a) lean at WOT b) leaner rear three cylinders than front.

I have had it apart for cleaning and checking for blockages, now clear. But it occurs to me that a) the jets may need replacing, and b) they may not necessarily be the correct ones for the application.

It is a Solex twin downdraft Solex 30PAAI-2.

Anyone have the correct jet sizes? Or know where to look?

lakesrally

Re: Solex carb jets, P3 75

Post by lakesrally » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Attached extract from the RSR P3 maunal. Suggest you buy a copy, lots of good info in there.

djm16

Post by djm16 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:28 am

Thank you for posting that. I have the Rover Workshop manual TP/107/A and did not realise anything else was available. I also have the parts catalogue.

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:34 pm

They are similar but there a few things in the RSR publication that are not in TP/107/A. Best of luck.

djm16

Post by djm16 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:55 pm

I have had an interesting couple of days. First, I discovered that all the jet sizes are mentioned in the Parts book, I just did not know what I was looking at. Second, the idle jet is recorded as being 60 or 50 (Canada and N America). Now why would they want a lean idle?

I took out my idle jets for comparison. One was a 60, the other: who knows, it was definitely smaller, the unreadable digit definitely not a 6, could have been a 4.

Using a stoichiometer shoved up the exhaust it was possible to say for certain that the misfiring at low throttle openings was due to weak mixture. However, winding out the two adjusting screws gave slighter richer idle, but leaned out the top end. Not what I expected.

I dismantled the carb again today and found a thick unhealthy load of fine rust in the carb bowl and spreading through the fine petrol passages. Clearly I should have taken the petrol tank off for cleaning and used a filter (other than the one built into the banjo).