new to forum - removing front seat

neil.henderson

new to forum - removing front seat

Post by neil.henderson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:24 am

Hi, I am new to this forum. I bought an 1948 Rover P3 in late November 2010 and have been disassembling her (Dorothy is her name!) since then - when I have time..............
I have removed all the wings,back seats, the doors, lights, running boards and windows. Now I need to get the front seats out. But if I slide them fully forward the middle track hits a stop, if I slide them fully back the outer slides hit stops. Are there bolts that have to be undone & how do you get access to them please?
Bit stuck at the moment so any heklp gratefully received :-)

Thanks Neil Henderson, Murrumbateman NSW Australia

P3Steve

Re: new to forum - removing front seat

Post by P3Steve » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:51 am

When I did the clutch on my P3 the other year I had to take out the floor and seats to get to it, the seats just slid back off the runners so some one in the past may have removed any retaining bolts and not replaced them, I ll try and get down to the garage later and drop a seat out and see if I can see how it should be retained.
Last edited by P3Steve on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

P3Steve

Post by P3Steve » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:01 am

Just nipped down to the garage and slid the drivers seat off the runners, cant see any bolts or holes were they might have been that might stop it coming off. On the front of each runner is a small upturned tab that when you move it up and down "rocks" a plate within the runner at the back of the slide try moving these tabs and pushing back the seat at the same time this might be how there released, I think mine are so worn that they no longer function as they should.

P3Steve

Post by P3Steve » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:15 pm

How did you get on with the seats did you get them out?

neil.henderson

Post by neil.henderson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:55 am

I haven't managed to get the seats out yet. My seats seem to have 3 runners with the middle one controlling where the seat stops its back & forward movement, by having a spring loaded tab that clicks into a slotted bar. The tab is controleld by a lever that runs to the front of the seat.
It is the central runner which is stopping the seat sliding right back. Do your seats have a central runner?

Cheers Neil

P3Steve

Post by P3Steve » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:17 am

Yes it dose but there dosnt seem to be anything on the centre runner to hold the seat apart from the adjusting arm/lever. As far as I can see its the lifting tabs at the front of the two outer runners that seem to hold the seat in, Its a shame that a few others dont chip in and help but then that seems to be the way this forum is fast going! :(

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 am

I would chip in but as I have no experience of the P3 I cannot add anything

P3Steve

Post by P3Steve » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 pm

by 47p2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 am

Quote - I would chip in but as I have no experience of the P3 I cannot add anything.

I know that my friend as we discussed the other week it always seems to comes down to the same few and one only has to glance over the previous post on this site to know your one of the salwarts - no offence intended.

bradphil

Post by bradphil » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 am

Have you noticed the small spacer between the bottom of the runner and the seat box. ? This gives clearance for the runners to slide backwards and forwards.
Geezz....i try to do it on my rover but dang its not that easy to remove this land rover parts. Im wondering why others can do this in 20 minutes. Perhaps i need a miracle.