Starter Motor

Willum

Starter Motor

Post by Willum » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi
Does anyone have an assembly diagram for the starter motor on a P3? Mine is marked up 'LUCAS M418G G76' I can find lots of info on the type that throw the pinion 'forwards' ie, towards the front of the car but nothing useful for my type which throws the pinion backwards.
Mine works fine most of the time and is perfectly free running but doesn't always engage the pinion. It seems to have 'disappeared' the light return spring which pushes the actual pinion back onto the bendix spiral and I think keeps the inner part of the Bendix engaged on the lugs of the shock absorber unit. Add to that, I'm not sure it has been assembled in the right order.
The bit I need the information on is the 'Bendix' layout and assembly, better still, someone who has a fully functional version and can post a picture.
Ta - in anticipation
Willum

paul williams

Re: Starter Motor

Post by paul williams » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

Willum

Post by Willum » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Paul
Thanks for the link. ;) I'll give them a ring
Willum

Willum

Post by Willum » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Quick update
I found a (not very good) exploded diagram in an old Lucas document. As I suspected the 'anti-rattle' spring was missing. Fashioned a passable replacement from an old brake cylinder spring and, with a bit of shimming, got a result in that the starter always engages.
There is still something not quite right, since I had to shim the fixed part of the spring carrier quite a bit to stop the moving sleeve from dropping between the fixed portion and th Bendix. Don't like the fact that it reduces the amount that the pinion throws into engagement with the ring gear .................it'll make sense to anyone who knows the starter.
I'm going to ring Paul's suggested company tomorrow but if anyone has any diagrams, or photos of a fully functional one, it would be much appreciated.
THE VERY BEST NEWS OF ALL is that with a clean of the points and some fresh petrol, the old girl started and ran like a swiss watch.
That's the first time it's been started in eight years!!! :D :D :D :D
Am I pleased.............. or am I REALLY pleased.
She's up for sale........... better not fall in love with her again.................
Willum