Rover 825 KV6 Waterpumps

achandler

Rover 825 KV6 Waterpumps

Post by achandler » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:49 pm

I seem to remember that waterpumps for the Rover 825 KV6 engines were getting very hard to find, in an article published in Freewheel, some time ago.
Does anyone remember how the problem was resolved as I need to find one to complete a cambelt change in my 1997 825si?
regards

47p2

Re: Rover 825 KV6 Waterpumps

Post by 47p2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:22 pm

You could try posting a wanted advert in the Rover 800 forum

Click here for link

achandler

Post by achandler » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:49 pm

Well, be warned Rover 825 KV6 owners, new water pumps are no longer available, and there are no plans to remanufacture them.
I have been in touch with Rimmers, X-Part and countless other people who claim to have pumps "that will fit with some adjustment" and at least 4 businesses have said the only thing you can do now, is to have yours reconditioned.
I am lucky that a company called Best of British in the Midlands had an old 825 engine, and are stripping the pump off that and sending it to reconditioners to see if they can replace the bearing etc. If that fails, I will just have to hope that my pump will last a few more years after the cambelts are replaced. I would be sad to lose a very enjoyable car just because I cannot get a pump.
Regards

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:01 am

Wasn't the KV6 licence built by Kia in South Korea and used in sedonas? Is there any mileage in exploring a Kia sourced pump?

Just a thought

Mike

achandler

Post by achandler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:36 pm

Just a postcript to the water pump saga. I have now had the cambelts, tensioners and idlers replaced on all of the belts and fitted a new Rover 75 water pump in place of the original. It took a bit of engineering, as one bolt hole does not line up at all and has to be blocked off, and two others very nearly, but not quite. We got round that by drilling out the holes fractionally so that the bolt would fit. There was still plenty of of metal around the bolt head so no danger of leakage. The next problem we found was that, when fitted, the vanes of the water pump were just touching the back of the water jacket. So the pump had to come off again and the vanes filed back a fraction. The balance was then checked and all was ok. So all is now well and I feel confident that that side of the engine is good (for a while, anyway).
regards to all

achandler

Post by achandler » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Sorry I meant to include on my last message. I looked into getting a Kia Sedona water pump. These are still available via the Kia agencies, but others who have been down this route advised extreme caution. The replacement pumps are now made in Taiwan with very suspect quality control. One Freelander owner ended up having to get three before he found one that was not rubbish before being fitted, and that lasted three months. He gave up at that point and bought a Freelander with a diesel engine!