820 SE Questions

Paul Gregory

820 SE Questions

Post by Paul Gregory » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:56 pm

As librarian I have had a few questions raised about a Aug regd 1987 820 SE which a member of the RSR has recently acquired. Things are a little hectic here at the moment due to the sudden arrival of builders, and as a result I haven't had chance to dig into the library for info. I just wondered if anyone on here has the info easily to hand so that I can get a response back more quickly. The questions raised by the member are:

1. I would like to have a good picture or W/M diagram of the aircleaner rear trunking to air box intake.
I would hope that this would show a saddle clamp arrangement  that locates the air trunking and gives a fixing to the a/c support bracket. This is  missing presumed lost when last the PAS belt was adjusted.Haynes ISBN 1 85960 273 8  2003,page 115, frame 12.1a,   I want to make something realistic to replace my lash up fix or a sample,s/h spare would be better.

2. CDL remote actuation.
 Launch publication 1986, 3803A shows infra red locking for the 820SE,  but a local "expert" on engine management etc says,no,not until centre rear brake light intro.
 This man I knew when at Gaydon in the 1980`s,and I recall Rover
often had delayed introductions,BUT this car has a blue?
semi globe about 10mm diameter above the interior mirror so I think remote was fitted.
My problem is no plip present. Think car was a bereavement sale from owner no 1 when plip,keys, docs went astray? Car has two new keys that deal with ign,front doors but not  boot,fuel fill flap,glove locker lid.  When I am more sure that this car has remote CDL I can decide whether to risk sending my ECU to Mobile tunong at Spennymoor Co Durham

3. Low battery (0.4v) believed due to interal lights staying on. Models SE and up have a delay and dim out feature for three lights but a delay only for footwell....this works. Believe it due to a relay, Rimmer`s say part no DCP 8989?
do you have any way to confirm this number?

Would really appreciate it if anyone can help.
Many thanks
Paul
RSR Post 1950 Librarian

Do you have anything which could be added to the RSR Library for the benefit of all members? Please let me know if you have.

richard moss

Re: 820 SE Questions

Post by richard moss » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:45 pm

To be honest, low spec old mk1 820s are not my thing (I'm really more of a mk2 man myself) but if he signs up at http://www.rover800.info/forum" target="_blank I'm pretty sure that one of our resident "anoraks" will be able to help out.
1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)

Richard Clements

Post by Richard Clements » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:49 am

I might have the diagram I'll have a look

regards the keys it sounds like an auto locksmith has changed the ingition barrel and front door locks which is why the boot/fuel filler cap and glove box do not work, the boot/fuel filler had two levers down the right hand side of the drivers seat which has a lock on it which is obviously the same as the ingition key (the original) the same goes for the glove box. So even if the remote was working you would still have issues with the fuel filler and glove box.
1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic

richard moss

Post by richard moss » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Earlier models have what is known as a "valet" key which allows the car to be locked/unlocked/started but doesn't give access to the boot and glovebox. The idea is to stop the chaps at the valet parking site or local garage having a root through your valuables.

It sounds like the normal keys have gone missing and perhaps someone has cut a replacement from the valet key, not realising what it does.
1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)

Richard Clements

Post by Richard Clements » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:42 pm

I hope these prove useful.

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic

Paul Gregory

Post by Paul Gregory » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks Richard,
I'll pass them on.
Regards
Paul
RSR Post 1950 Librarian

Do you have anything which could be added to the RSR Library for the benefit of all members? Please let me know if you have.