1946 P2 10hp Clutch Problems

Peter Nieto

1946 P2 10hp Clutch Problems

Post by Peter Nieto » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:47 pm

1946 10hp P2 Saloon
Following 6 moths lay-up over winter the clutch seized up and refused to disengage.
I removed the gearbox/clutch cleaned up the Flywheel and Pressure Plates and fitted a new friction plate and cable. following which it still did not fully disengage in that I could depress the clutch pedal select a gear and start the engine and the jacked up wheels did not turn, howver on trying to change gear there was a clashing noise indicating that the was still some connection to the gearbox. Having adjusted the cable to reduce all free travel at the pedal, the situation did not change. Having removed it all, i checked the dimentions of the friction plate and they are correct, i can confirm that bothe the plate and thrust bearing were installed correcyly.

Any ideas, any one.

TonyG

Re: 1946 P2 10hp Clutch Problems

Post by TonyG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Peter,

This is a puzzle. Did you identify why the clutch was seized in the first place? My only thought is that the problem may have been due to a seized input shaft bearing in the rear centre of the flywheel. Removing and refitting the box may have freed it sufficiently for your initial checks only to find it started snagging, perhaps as it gets hot?

Just a thought but it sounds like the box will have to come out again, given that you have made all the obvious checks and adjustments.

Tony Gilbert
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport