Evening all from wet and windy Suffolk

Please announce yourselves here when you join
rover p5

Re: Evening all from wet and windy Suffolk

Post by rover p5 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 pm

hi i own a 1938 p2 1500 cc any ideas how many are left on the road at present time the reg is gpl201 any info thanks in advance mark ps car in weymouth dorset

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi there Mark
I have no idea of the exact number of P2's around but from the info on the RSR archive database it definitely runs into several hundred possibly as high as 6/700???, this is basis all the 10/12/14/16/20 models years for the years 1937/47, with the majority being post war.
Whilst I don't think anyone knows an exact figure but whatever that figure might be I reckon only 25/30 percent are roadworthy at any one time.
Regards

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:54 pm

25-25% roadworthy? Where are they then! The same ones turn-up ever year occasionally. They must stay very much within the confines of the neighbourhood
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

patrick hiron

Post by patrick hiron » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:22 pm

Re sunshine roofs
I sucessfully rebuilt the sliding roof on my P3 at great expense and with a lot of swearing !. I learned that " they are all different ". Even the P3 6 light and 4 light roofs are very different . I suspect the prewar bodies differed according to the body style ,engine HP and production year . Remember the prewar bodies had a large element of coach built wood in their structure ,every roof would be unique
. My new P3 roof structure was built by a cabinet maker friend who took all the measurements from an " identical P3 75 six light body ". This gave me a nicely made set of wood work which needed a great deal of adjustment to fit the hole in my body work,despite the fact that the P3 bodies were all steel and should have been identical .
I have a VHS home video of the P3 roof being stripped down for measurement . This gives a good idea of the complicated make up of the Rover roof .I would be happy to have it copied to Uk format and shipped to you . The last time I did this the video transfer and mailing cost was around $30 .
My roof looked great , worked well and was waterproof .I had to replace the head lining and cloth trim inside . I honestly wonder if it was worth the cost and effort . It would have been much easier to fill in the roof area and cover it with rexine ,just like a prewar Ford 8*
Cheers
RVW

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:40 am

Roadworthy P2's
Phil - My estimate of 25/30% being roadworthy is based on info given by members when they join who class their cars condition A) to E), which I assume are roadworthy??? maybe a wrong assumption?? the remaining 70/75% class F) and G) I assume are off the road.

Like you I often used to wonder where they all hibernate for the summer??, the days of 100 plus P2's attending RSR events seem to be long gone, mind you so has 5 gallons of petrol for £1, as in the days of my first Rover 10.

Regards

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:53 pm

:oops: Actually our 1939-16 has not been out since the beginning of September :oops: :cry:

Each time bar one we used it this year it got soaking wet as well :x
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others