Dealing with rust

Please announce yourselves here when you join
wouldhee

Dealing with rust

Post by wouldhee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Just wondering what people are using to deal with rusty surfaces, in particular those that are difficult to get to and treat, i.e. internal surfaces when replacing sills etc.
Paul

Phil - Nottingham

Re: Dealing with rust

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:11 pm

I have tried all sorts but the only sure way apart from cutting out and welding new is to neutralise and then seal it in. I find Jenolite is the best to do this.

Then its essential to get a good primer onto to it like red-oxide and then a top coat(s) of enamel and then Waxoyl - clear or black. I have not tried the more expensive treatments as although tehre have been excellent press reports I have seen worse results in real life cars. This treatment is also good for bodywork except the primer must be suitable for paint system to be used and do not bother with the Waxoyle!

Its also better to emmigrate to a warm dry saltless climate - the weather we are having now will get through any piant system unless its flawless - not much hope if corrosion is already present

Condensation, hidden in box sections etc never dries up for months even if the car has not been out in the wet
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

richard moss

Re: Dealing with rust

Post by richard moss » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 pm

I like Kurust (by Hammerite?). I prefer the creamy white version, which dries to a hard black coat rather than the jelly version.
1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)