Rover 75 front ashtray

Please announce yourselves here when you join
Richard Bryant

Rover 75 front ashtray

Post by Richard Bryant » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:56 pm

Greetings to all.

A new member of the RSR who joined at the NEC Show wants to fit a replacement front
ashtray to his modern 75, as the wood trim on the original is damaged. He has got a secondhand replacement, but has been unable to fit it. The Haynes manual seems to imply that the whole centre console has to be removed. I have had a look at our 75, and cannot see how the ashtray assembly comes out or how the wood trim is attached. Has anybody with a 75 done this job, and, if so, how? Did you take out the whole console? I would like to help our new member out, especially as he not only joined our club at the NEC, but also introduced several of his fellow Vanden Plas Owners Club members, who also own Rovers.

For those of you who do not know me, I am a committee member of RSR, and a lifelong Rover enthusiast. My wife Anne and I own 7 Rovers from 1925 to 2003 and 5 other classics.

Richard Bryant

GOY189

Re: Rover 75 front ashtray

Post by GOY189 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:00 am

Richard,
I sent this query (off forum) to Mike McCabe who asked that I post this reply.

"Have set out the instructions for easy removal of the ashtray below. No need for the whole console to come out. Would you post them on my behalf? Also if I can get the forum url from you, I'll visit the thread and see if I can help further.

Regards

Mike

1. using a thin plastic card or similar gently push behind the
clmate control/air con fascia edge all the way around to remove the black plastic face

2. using the same card and approach remove the 'plastic' wood facia
from the switch bank below the climate control.

3. undo the 4 screws holding the climate unit in place-withdraw the
unit and remove the three wiring plugs from the rear. Store the unit safe

4. at each end of the switch bank housing below the climnate unit you will see a push in plastic
clip-push these outboard (iirc) so that the switch bank can be withdrawn.
Disconnect the multi plugs from the switch housing rear , remove and store the unit safe.

5. at each top side of the ashtray unit just inside the fascia there is a
(push in) clip. Push these in and remove the unit slightly.

6. disconnect the multi plug and lucar plug from the rear of the
ashtray (these feed the lamp and the lighter-and can be fiddly to get out
and replace!)

7. The two leads to the lighter may also be attached via a clip to
the rear of the ashtray unit. This clip slides on and off the rear and
is quite tight and inaccessible.

8, The whole ashtray unit then comes out. If you then want to
remove the cup holders do so with real cuation - the cupholders are held in by a thin
plastic clip on the inboard front lower edge. If this clip is not freed
before releasing then it will snap very easily.

9. When fitting the new ashtray unit, ensure that the two plastic protrusions on the base of the ashtray unit are put inside the facia space otherwise you can spend 30 minutes wondering why on earth it wont go back in! this job will take around 30 minutes."

Hope this helps
Mike Maher