New member in Hertfordshire

Please announce yourselves here when you join
megatoad

New member in Hertfordshire

Post by megatoad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:05 am

Hello everyone. I am a bit trepidatious about venturing into these hallowed portals but a Rover 90 owning associate of mine pointed me in this direction.

I appreciate that this forum is ostensibly for the sports saloons / saloons but I must raise a white flag and begin as I often do with insurance companies.

I am the proud owner of the "Land Rover" by the "Rover Motor Company" circa 1952!

Given that I am currently up to my elbows in a Rover gearbox and a Rover 4cl IOE engine (allbeit the 2l spreadbore unit for the LR) I feel we have much common ground and am hoping not only to pick your brains on said technology but also possibly I can contribute also from my own 25 years of fettling the green oval.

Regards,

Julian

47p2

Re: New member in Hertfordshire

Post by 47p2 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Welcome to the forum, so pictures of your fleet would be great

megatoad

Post by megatoad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Well Pictures I love too so here goes:

Here is SFF in the heat of cometition during the RTV trial at this years ALRC National Rally at Eastnor Castle: Incidentally the same day the starter died again.

My daily drive, again at Eastnor during the scenic drive.

This is SWAMBOs new toy for me to rebuild (Unfortunatly the bungalow too is about to be completely rebuilt however I will have a nice drive through workshop / garage as part of the renevation.

This is SWAMBO's daily drive setting out last years RTV trial at the ALRC Nationals in Leicestershire after a few minor body trim modifications.

megatoad

Post by megatoad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 pm

And here we are currently:

Whilst driving home down the M1 via a post trial holiday in Staffordshire I started to get a very nasty noise from the gearbox. Somewhat akin to that of a knackered angle grinder gearbox! So I decided to bull the box out and take a look.

First good look at the box. I had prior to the trialling dropped and replaced all the oils throughout (gearbox/transfer box/engine/axles/swivels etc) and greased all appropriate nipples.

A prelimanary degreasing and cleaning.

This last week I have had to seriously upgraded my Whitworth toolkit with a nice old Gedore Whitworh / B.S.F 1/2" socket set and several old ring spanners! The nuts connecting the prop to the handbrake were 1/4W and I had to take an angle grinder to my only spanner so it would fit into the confined space next to the knuckles.

Splitting the components appart, yes all to be cleaned prior to reassembly.

Initially I thought it could be the clutch mechanism sleeve and bearing so I have replaced these. Then a friend said it could be the mainshaft bearing but this is fine.

What I have found is that the 1st motion shaft bearing was a bit iffy and that the oil return spiral was noticeable worn. So today I have orderred genuine replacement shaft and bearing from Dunsfold.

The other problem and the primary reason for joining this site Starter motor woes with the Bendix Drive Sleeve. However I feel that this is possibly a new thread as I wish to pick your brains on this matter.

I have also taken the opportunity to replace the clutch as I had the box out, however the old plate actually has plenty of life in it so will go back into storage.