New 12 restoration

Please announce yourselves here when you join
Shaf1926

New 12 restoration

Post by Shaf1926 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:29 pm

Hi all,
I have recently bought a Rover 12 to restore together with my daughter.
I'll no doubt have a load of questions along the way.

But here are some straight off the bat.

What tyres do you need?
where do you get them?
And roughly how much should I be paying?

Are there good suppliers to get replacement panels and other parts?

What have people done for securing the seats. Our car currently has no floor. I believe it's just a sheet of 3/4 inch marine ply. And the seats just bolt straight into the ply.
But have any of you put any extra reinforcements?

Then something I'm sure has come up before.
How have people gone about fitting seatbelts?
Have you welded anchor points into the body? And for the anchors on the other side of the seats (towards the centre). There is no real metal to weld them to. So what have you done there?

HAD501

Re: New 12 restoration

Post by HAD501 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:55 pm

Hello and congratulations!

You don't say what year or model your car is. Post-war and immediate pre-war models have significant differences to earlier ones, particularly 1947.
Many items - such as wheel bearings - remained in use on P4s and P5s, and a number of gearbox items were used in Land Rover gearboxes, which aids availability. The club holds a considerable quantity of used parts - there's a video tour of stores somewhere on the web site.

If you haven't already done so, a copy of the club workshop manual is an essential investment (in my opinion at least!)

Yes the floors are made of plywood but don't need to 3/4 inch thick. I used 12mm exterior plywood from Wickes which is still going strong years later.
The seat runner bolt directly to the floor which should be supported by a bracket on the chassis under each seat.

I haven't bothered with seat belts personally. I think wouldn't be too difficult to fit anchorages to the sill and propshaft tunnel which is pretty substantial. A shoulder mounting would possibly be more of a problem - perhaps the door pillar wouldn't be strong enough, or suitably positioned relative to the seat. But I'm sure others will be able to advise.

Best of luck with your project, DaveM