34th Lakes Rally, 18th to 20th September 2009

Details of meetings etc where Rovers can meet
lakesrally

34th Lakes Rally, 18th to 20th September 2009

Post by lakesrally » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:01 pm

At the moment I am still planning Saturday but we will return to Holker Hall for Sunday. Once again, the Lakeland Motor Museum will still be there, they still say that 2009 will be their last year but I am making no promises. We will again base ourselves at the Burnside Hotel in Bowness, where we will gather for a meal on Saturday night followed by a quiz. Other hotels, guest houses, camping and caravan sites are available in the area and I will help if you need it but please remember that this is the Lake District and the date is still in the season, the sooner you book the more chance you have of getting the accomodation you want. Details on the web site http://www.lakesrally.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by lakesrally on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Clements

Re: 34th Lakes Rally, 18th to 20th September 2009

Post by Richard Clements » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:26 pm

Count me in Stewert, I will definately make it next year :oops: :D
1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:04 pm

Long-standing attendees of the Lake District Rally will be sad to learn of the passing away of Bill Bateman on November 27th at the grand age of 90. Bill was one of the founders of this event, an avid collector of cars as witnessed by many of us who saw round his collection in Coniston, a very astute businessman and one of life's real characters. He will be missed by all that knew him.

At the moment I have no news of the collection other than a rumour that it was being sold off a couple of months ago.

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi there Stewart
Sad to hear about Bill's passing, I did visit his Museum some years ago, he was a very interesting character and he certainly had a great collection, he was a member of the RSR in the 1970's, when he purchased a 1947 Rover 12 tourer, which I discovered was still amongst collection when I was there. It was white/cream in colour with tan upholstery, it seemed in reasonable condition at the time, interesting to see when/where it next appears??
Any chance you took any photos on one of your visits ?? I had run out of film on my visit before I spotted it.

Regards
Andrew

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:46 pm

Hi Andrew,

I took this picture of his 12 Tourer on our last visit in 2005. I am making a few discreet enquiries but I do not want to intrude on his family at this time.

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:59 am

Would anyone who came to the 2008 event like to write a report for Freewheel? Ian has asked me but I don't like to, my view is hardly impartial! I could probably supply photographs to go with an article.

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 am

Ooops - big mistake by me! Please note the dates above and ignore the dates on the entry form printed in Freewheel and Overdrive. I managed to send out the correct form to our regulars and I put the correct form onto the web site but when it came to sending the form to the editors of the two magazines I managed to send them last year's form. The correct version is on the web site at http://www.lakesrally.com" target="_blank" target="_blank but I will obviously be happy to hear from any entrants who use the wrong one!

Regards

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:00 am

Further news on Bill Bateman's 12 Tourer. I did not know about it in advance but I have just discovered that it was sold for £9460 by H & H in April 2009. Do we know where DDN 533 went?

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Hello there Stewart

It certaintly fetched a good price, almost twice the reserve, and I understand from Mike Couldry the new owner has already been in touch with him regarding availability of parts, it seems, despite the smart looking picture in the H&H catalogue, the car is in a bad way, major chassis and sill problems, according to Mike.

Whilst Mike could not recall the new owners name it seems he was keen to buy the car as it was his first car many years ago.

I am not sure whether he is a member or not but hopefully if not he will join the fold one of these days.

Regards
Andrew

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Acknowledgements and further details for this year's event went in the post today. If you do not receive your pack in the next few days then I have not received your entry. There is still time to enter and there are even a couple of rooms left at the Burnside hotel http://www.burnsidehotel.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank but remember to mention that you are with the Rover rally for the discounted rate so get your entry in quickly. I can help with alternative accomodation, camping etc if required but contact me sooner rather than later as everywhere is getting booked up quickly. Entry form is available at http://www.lakesrally.com/pages/form_2009.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank if you do not want to cut a page out of Freewheel.

Look forward to seeing you in September,