I smell a rat............P2 for sale

Any parts you want or have to get rid of, tell us here
RLH454

I smell a rat............P2 for sale

Post by RLH454 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Did anyone else notice this P2 on e-bay and think "too cheap" :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-P2-14hp ... 1105428010

I am sure I recognise the car as one that was offered on e-bay or other Classic websites some time ago, at a much higher price.

Anyway I e-mailed an expression of interest.

This is the reply I received:

Hello,
Are you still interested ? The rover is still for sale. Immaculate condition, no damages, nothing to worry about. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £3,700 delivered at my costs.
The deal will go strictly according to eBay Buyer Protection rules and policy.
Thank you

Now that sounds like a con-man to me. I replied saying delivery wouldn't be necessary and I would view and pay cash upon collection. Please provide an address and a telephone number so we could make arrangements.

The reply:

Due to my location and since view or pick up is not an option I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer Protection Program. Here is how the process works:
- you give me your full name and shipping address
- I start the transaction with the eBay,
- they send further payment instructions,
- you have to pay for the item to eBay to secure the funds,
- they confirm me that they received the funds,
- I deliver the car,
- you receive the car,
- they send me the money.
Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the car in good order.
Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

Sarah

I don't think I need to tell you what my reply was! :lol:

Anyway - does anyone recognise the car HKC 174 or is the owner maybe a RSR member? I think the owner should be made aware of what is happening.

Incidentally - I must have missed some change to the forum, I have just had to re-register in order to gain access to post. I managed to register again using my original name and e-mail address, but the password I originally used was no longer the correct format. :?:
Anyway, nothing lost back on again! :D

Robin

lakesrally

Re: I smell a rat............P2 for sale

Post by lakesrally » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Robin, we have had to introduce a vetting system for new members due to the amount of spam the forum was getting; it has virtually stopped since we introduced this new system. Your old login may have been deleted in a cull of members who were not posting as 90% of them were spammers. Apologies for the inconvenience.

paul williams

Post by paul williams » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi Robin,

I think you have a good nose ;)

have a look at
http://roverp5.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... 994&page=1

our fellow P5 forum have spotted this before, probably not the same person but who knows?

Lakesrally is correct about the forum, all members who had joined and not posted within a few days were deleted, there were about 200, at the same time the password format was changed to stop automatic registration. Sorry you got caught out but glad you are back.

Paul

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

paul williams

Post by paul williams » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Robin,

as I am sure this is a scam the 'seller' will not know anything about the car, maybe a question like --"does the 80 engine fitted still have its original su carbs fitted" or "can you send me a picture of the engine" may flush him out.

BTW the car is known to the club up to about 2007, we also have a record of its previous reg number, but alas no information about the current owner.

Paul

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

RLH454

Post by RLH454 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:16 pm

It's amazing how they keep trying - but then my brother fell for one that I think anyone would have done - probably myself as well.

He posted an add in Old Bike Mart wanting a specific type of bike - a 1960's Honda S65 - we both passed our test on one many years ago.
He received a reply by e-mail from someone in America - with various pictures of a very nice bike. Suffice to say the chap was willing to ship it as well so after protracted negotiations a price of $1900 shipping included was agreed upon. He requested payment by bank transfer - Jim refused stating that he was willing to pay by Paypal - the chap after further negotiations agreed, stating that it would have to be paid into his girlfriends account as he had no Paypal account.
Jim did this and needless to say................all communications then ceased. No replies. many e-mails, but no reply.

Jim was annoyed, but relieved he had paid by Paypal. Before he contacted them he mailed the "girlfriend" whose e-mail he had sent the money to. Surprise, surprise he got a reply! :o
Said girlfriend apologised - ex-boyfriend lived in Nottingham, had no known connection with America, didn't have a motorbike nor any known interest in them, and monies he had been getting paid into her account she had sent directly to a Nigerian bank account for him................................... Girlfriend appeared genuine, helpful and apologetic.

Reported to Paypal (the Paypal guarantee!) - PAYPAL GUARANTEE SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES MOTOR VEHICLES. Tough.
However Jim had cleverly (unintentionally actually :lol: ) used his VISA to pay through Paypal. Visa refunded him!!!!

Anyway he asked my advice and I told him to report it to North Yorkshire Police (where he lives). Not interested. Told Jim he wasn't a victim because VISA had recompensed him. I told him to report it to Nottinghamshire - heres a fraudster who is probably there for the taking with a little bit of work. He tried - not interested. Wouldn't accept a report said VISA would have to report it!

No wonder they keep doing it - must be easy money for them!

Robin

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 pm

The original 14hp engine would have been 1901cc not as the vendor states 2147cc which is the 16hp engine...

The car is registered on the DVLA website as a 2147cc car making it a 16hp, so the vendor doesn't know the difference between a 14hp and 16hp car

The answer he has given you is a typical scammer's reply...stay well clear

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 pm

By coincidence I am going back to work on Wednesday, flying out of Aberdeen airport so will be staying there on Tuesday night. Bucksburn is right next to the airport so it would not be out of my way to offer to go and look at the car. I wonder what sort of reply I would get?

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 pm

I've already sent a message asking if I can view the car as I will be in Aberdeen over the next few days

I have also reported the advert to ebay as a scam

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Almost 24 hours since I sent a message to the vendor asking to view the car...Odd that he has not replied

What worries me is that it is still for sale on ebay as it is over 24 hours since I reported it, and over 36 hours since reporting another scam advert. It seems that ebay are very laid back to scammers. Last week I reported a scammer on Autotrader and the advert was removed within an hour of the report going in

jefflee

Post by jefflee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm

This car was sold on ebay by Paul of north ferriby a few months back, Paul and the new owner have been made aware
of this scam from the ebayer and [ sarahm0129 ] and although i have emailed ebay days ago its still there, beware. Jeff
1937-20 SS _ 1938-20 SS _ 1946-16 SS _ 1947-16 saloon