Avon Tyres

Any parts you want or have to get rid of, tell us here
lindsay haig

Avon Tyres

Post by lindsay haig » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Avon Super Safety's!!!
This is the 3rd tyre of this make that has caused problems.Two have had side-wall bulges,the latest, a split on the side-wall next to tread.This caused a knocking noise which sounded like a wheel bearing or a fault with the diff./back axle.As ever there is reasonable depth of tread, the tyre being approx. two years old.Trouble never seems to happen to the old, near the limit tyre!
Is there any point in talking to the supplier after this length of time,as the use is out of his control?Now have 3 Avons fitted.Will the rest fail in a similar manner?
Anybody's comments will be welcome.
Regards Lindsay Haig (Coventry)

47p2

Re: Avon Tyres

Post by 47p2 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:49 pm

I would certainly let them know the problem if it were me. They will of course tell you that the warranty is lapsed and there is nothing they can do about it. What you should be asking them for is a report into the cause of the failure, don't forget to mention this is not the first tyre to develop a problem and give them full details of the others with the bulges

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Is this on a P4? - I would go over to radials far safer, cheaper and last longer. Perhaps the load rating is not what is was originally
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:28 pm

I just bought an artist’s drawing of a 16/50 Doctor's Coupe, the one that used to be in Gaydon, which was originally published CARS magazine. On the back is an advert for Avon tyres, in small letters under the AVON logo it says "Start saving for a set of Avon tyres". Obviously not going for the cheaper end of the market then! :D

Paul Gregory

Post by Paul Gregory » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Over the past few years there have been quite a few cases of people encountering problems with Avon crossplies on P4's, usually with bulges appearing or cracking. One of the problems with less common tyres is that they are likely to have been made in batches and whilst you may well have only had the tyre for a couple of years it is possible that it has been stored by either the manufacturer or the distribution network for some time. The life expectancy of tyres is totally dependant on their use and storage and it is difficult to know how long they have been sitting around before you buy them 'new'. I seem to recall reading at some point that on some tyres there is usually a 'manufacturing' date on them somewhere though I cannot remember the details off the top of my head. If I recall there was some discussion in Freewheel about tyre age, especially in some of the FBHVC articles over the last couple of years - might be worth a search on the Freewheel index.

I have to agree with Phil with regards moving to radials - I used to run my P4 80 on radials but my Cyclops had good Avon crossplies on when I bought it. Somehow it seemed reasonable to keep it on crossplies as it was an earlier car but after a few years several stared to crack so I bit the bullet and moved it onto radials. I have never regretted it - improved ride, road holding and it is quieter so I can't see me ever moving it back onto crossplies.

Paul
RSR Post 1950 Librarian

Do you have anything which could be added to the RSR Library for the benefit of all members? Please let me know if you have.