1997 Rover 820 Si saloon for sale

Any parts you want or have to get rid of, tell us here
richard moss

1997 Rover 820 Si saloon for sale

Post by richard moss » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Formerly my father in law's.

1997 820 saloon. Genuine 85,000 miles (well, just under).
MOT to august
Tax to end of July.

Like most late model 800s, it's just badged "800" but it's an Si.

Zircon silver with beige cloth upholstery and blue carpet.
85,000 miles
Climate control, fully operational.
Rover stereo and CD player with steering wheel controls.
Aftermarket alloy wheels with slightly wider offset giving a a very "purposeful" stance. All tyres are good.
Towbar with electrics and spare rear number plate (only ever towed a small trailer).
Boot spoiler.
Single point LPG system with spare wheel well tank which hold 38 litres of gas.
Cruise control kit fitted and working (this cost me £250).
Fitted with higher ratio gearbox (from a 220) for quieter cruising - about 500 rpm drop at 70mph. Original box available if you want it but it has worn diff bearings.
All electrics work just as they should do.
Mk1 self levelling rear suspension fitted.

Very good bodywork, but not perfect. Superficial rust on the nearside rear wheelarch and a couple of bubbles on the driver's side rear arch and a couple of door corners. The front wings were replaced a couple of years ago. Recently repaired a small hole in the passenger side sill but the rest of the underneath is in good condition and I treated it to a good coat of Schutz last summer.

As expected, it has electric windows, mirror, sunroof, PAS, ABS, twin airbags, central locking, TWO functioning remote fobs. ABS and SRS function properly with no warning lights.

Jobs done:

Front ABS sensors replaced.
Water pump replaced less than 12 months ago and recon radiator fitted at the same time.
Cambelt changed less than 6 months ago.
ARB droplinks and brake pads changed at the same time as the cambelt.
Fusebox and driver's switchpack resoldered.

That means that most, if not all, of the usual 820 weakspots have been taken care off.

On the down side:

It runs a bit lumpily for the first couple of minutes but then smooths out as it starts to warm up. I suspect a slightly sticky valve or gummed up tappet - especially as it's better after an oil change with good quality oil.

There's an occasional judder when pulling away from standstill. I've replaced the front engine mount and this has helped and I suspect that the rear one needs doing, too.

The gearbox is a little noisy but there's no play in the differential so I'd be happy to carry on using it as it it.

These photos are about 12 months old, I'll give the car a good wash and get some more up soon (showing the rusty bits).

Looking for about £800 ono including LPG system, cruise control and tax. Available for collection in Wolverhampton any time or delivery by arrangement.

1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)

richard moss

Re: 1997 Rover 820 Si saloon for sale

Post by richard moss » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:32 am

1990 827 Sterling manual
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 Litre on LPG
1969 MGC GT (currently hibernating)

richard moss

Re: 1997 Rover 820 Si saloon for sale

Post by richard moss » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 pm