9/20 information

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
jp928

Re: 9/20 information

Post by jp928 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:24 am

Next question. There are what look like screw in welch plugs present - 2 in the head (right side), 2 in the block (left side). In my spare engine they have all been replaced by what looks like alloy parts, absolutely flush with the block surface - like a solid plug driven or screwed in and cut off flush with a hacksaw. The plugs in the running engine head are weeping, one badly. Almost looks like its coming through the body of the plug, not through the thread. There is a female hex in the plugs, around 14.8mm at the edge; OD is close to 1".
Anybody have any experience or knowledge of these plugs please? Would like to know what proper removal tool is, and what to look for to replace.
thanks
jp

p2roverman

Post by p2roverman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

John
Apologies for not replying before, I very rarely go on the RSR forum. Can I sugest you email me directly at p2roverman@gmail.com or p2roverman@uwclub.net. I have a fairly extensive range of 9/20 literature but only a very limited number of parts.
Mike

ColinDelage

Post by ColinDelage » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 pm

I have just had to replace two these plugs (on the carb side fortunately) in the head of my 10/25. Mine had been soldered up, and had started to leak.
On chipping the old solder out I was lucky to find that the original threads were still in good condition.

The threads are 3/4” BSPT. I bought a couple of solid brass plug fittings, machined down the thread slightly and screwed into place. So far so good!
Colin

jp928

Post by jp928 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:59 am

Thanks Colin. I got a 3/4 bspt tap ready for cleaning up the threads and a couple of new plugs. I am a bit reluctant to chisel out the weeping plug until I really have to, but at least I am ready with a replacement now.
jp

jp928

Post by jp928 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 pm

I finally got the old leaking plug out - quite a lot of work digging the debris out of the threads - the whole plug collapsed in small pieces. Trying to centre punch the hollow, the punch went through the metal! Had to chisel out the rest in fragments. The replacement plug was ~ 1mm under size, and had no chance of sealing - leaked as soon as the water level reached it. Currently trying a composite plug (from irrigation fittings shop) - at least it doesnt leak cold, we'll see how it goes hot. The rear head plug weeps much less, so hopefully I can get a few miles out of it before it has to be replaced. The block plug on the left looks like a later replacement and is completely dry so far.
Anybody interested in how I adapted the SU onto the head ? Starts and runs very well with it, answers throttle smoothly.
jp

jp928

Post by jp928 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 am

Can anybody advise what the current suitable replacement for Gargoyle 'A' engine oil would be please? Penrite call up their Shelsley Light (a 20-60) for this period and small engines. The Gargoyle A is listed on a factory brass plate for the car. Also diff oil for a worm/wheel unit, presumably bronze wheel?
thanks
jp