Tickford Hood Straps

RobHomewood

Tickford Hood Straps

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Can anyone enlighten me on the use of the straps for the Tickford hood? I must admit that to date I have just rolled the hood back and let it rest behind the back seat without any straps. However I recently found 2 straps hidden down the back of the back seat and still connected one end. However I cannot find anywhere to fix the other end which has a stud/popper presumably to secure the rolled up hood and frame. It may be that I am missing something on my car.
The other mystery is retaining the hood in the coupe de ville position. I cannot fathom how that could work without making holes in the hood! I am fortunate in having the 2 straps (canvas with a coloured leather binding) I believe should be used- These have a chrome bracket on one end with 2 screw holes, the same as the 2 which are already on the wooden roof hoop, half way to the back seat. These 2 straps also have a stud and popper but it makes no sense to me.
Presumably there was originally an instruction book issued- a scan of one of those would be amazing if anyone has one. Otherwise perhaps someone could be kind enough to explain or put up some photos of the straps in the different positions?

dhbuchanan

Re: Tickford Hood Straps

Post by dhbuchanan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Salmons and Sons issued "Directions for operating head on Tickford Foursome Coupe" (their name for the drophead) to all purchasers of the cars. It describes 6 stages of operation in detail with large illustrations. My copy is A3 sized, and right now I don't know how to scan something that large. I'll try to find out.
The correct name for the " studs and poppers" on the straps is durable dots, otherwise known as press studs. They are there to park the strap on itself so that it doesn't hang down into the car interior when the hood is up. This involves passing it through another chromed bracket and doubling it back on itself.
As for the coupe de ville position, 2 male turnbuckle posts (sometimes referred to as "sensible fasteners") are screwed, using 2 small screws, through the hooding from the outside into the hood stick beneath. These engage with the oval-shaped female sockets in the hood straps, holding the rolled front hood section securely in place. There are 2 of these female sockets in each strap- the other one is to secure the folded hood in the completely down position.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.

dhbuchanan

Post by dhbuchanan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:21 pm

After taking advice from my in-house IT consultant, I've photographed the 6 stages of the Tickford hood operation directions in two images.
Send your email address to me at flx797@hotmail.co.uk and I'll email them to you.

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks for the information on the hood details. Luckily Bill Mccreath has already sent me a copy of the Directions for the Tickford Foursome Coupe but thanks anyway for taking the trouble to copy them. Maybe others would benefit from them?
They did raise further questions. They mention covers which go over the ends of the cant rails which I have never seen but am trying to emulate. Also they mention a further cover which goes over the hop stick and cant rails of the hood in the de ville position which Bill had not got any information on. Keith Jackson has confirmed that he thought he had one for his previous 20 DHC but couldnt remember any details. Do you have any one of these and if so what does it look like please?
Lastly Keith also had the 2 additional straps screwed to the rear of the rear seat which I was asking about. He thought these were for securing the hood in the fully down position which sound logical- if a duplicate of the other straps. Any information on these? Mine only have one durable dot popper not turnbuckle holes. But where would the fixing part be - on the bodywork or on the bottom of the hood material below the rear window?
I am currently trying to clean and soften ny straps which havent seen the light of day for many years so any advice on that would also be welcome
Rob

dhbuchanan

Post by dhbuchanan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Rob, I have photographed the items you have inquired about- the bag for the cantrail end and the cover for the folded cantrails and hoop stick in the de ville position. There's also a photo of the turnbuckles needed to take the weight of the rolled front section wthh header rail when the hood is in the de ville position. Turnbuckles are the most secure fastening used in coachtrimming which is why they're used here. Send your email address to me at flx797@hotmail.co.uk and I'll forward the images to you.

As for straps for the hood assembly in the down position, I've dispensed with them as they are not needed: the assembly weighs a ton and is going nowhere. In fact, you need real strength in your arm to get it upright again as the spring is really powerful. It's actually a job better done by two people.That's why one of these dropheads was fitted with a Tickford patent rear N/S quarter winding handle facility.

The bags for the cantrail ends are there to stop them marking each other when folded. One only will do the job, which can be just as well performed by an old thick sock pulled over the ends of the cantrail. The de ville cover should be made from a double thickness of hooding and is secured by 4 or 5 durable dots. Both these items are simple to make.

I wouldn't bother resurrecting the original straps as, being canvas, they will have shrunk. Make new straps with new new hooding so that the sockets and studs will be in exactly the right positions for your car.