1926 ROver 9/20 steering box info

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
jp928

1926 ROver 9/20 steering box info

Post by jp928 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:46 am

Have a 26 9, with pretty much everything overhauled years ago, with very heavy steering - only recently actually got to drive it a little. The box is shown in the linked pdf (p2, centre, sorry about the quality) as having an eccentric cover (plate that carries the sector shaft) so you can adjust the worm/sector mesh. Tyres are inflated ok, unused, but old. Off the ground you can do lock-to-lock with one finger but its not really light. About 1" of free play at the wheel rim, then it loads up. Anybody know this type of box, or of any source of info on it please.

https://imgur.com/FZw00l1
thanks
jp

ColinDelage

Re: 1926 ROver 9/20 steering box info

Post by ColinDelage » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:58 pm

There are a few things that I would check that may help.

Firstly tyre pressure. I’m my 10/25 from memory I think it was stated as approx 28psi all round, I upped this to around 34psi and it made a big difference.

Then, lubrication...most early steering boxes of this type ran in heavy oil, over the years grease is added and gradually congeals. I can’t imagine this helps.

The steering box on the 9/20 and 10/25 is very similar to the Amilcar one. I’m not sure where you are in Australia, but there are quite a few Amilcar people...it may be worth trying to seek some of them out to try and get some advice.

...now back to mending my broken engine!

Good luck

Colin

jp928

Re: 1926 ROver 9/20 steering box info

Post by jp928 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:00 am

Fortunately my fix was easy. Once I got the drag link separated from the box, It was obvious the box was in very good order - smooth and free. Then I discovered that one ball joint on the drag link was much too tight. Took a bit of heat to get the screw in plug free, but after that it all went together fine, and steering action is now much lighter. Havent driven it again yet, but its bound to be an improvement.
jp 26 Rover 9