Len Cottam

Please announce yourselves here when you join
digcot65

Len Cottam

Post by digcot65 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:09 am

I`m in the process of selling my Mercedes 450SLC ,I`ve restored it but I now want a rolling restoration for something to do.I `ve seen a 1946 P2 for sale but it needs a fair amount of restoration.The one thing I am concerned with ,is that the headlining is missing and I can`t see any cross supports if there are supposed to be some.If anyone can look at the photo and advise the problems I am unable to download photos from the advert,However the car is on Ebay the number is 223958880247 Any advice would be welcome,Iv`e tackled major restorations but am wary about headlining Len Cottam

Neal P2

Re: Len Cottam

Post by Neal P2 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Dear Len, Just looked at the Rover on ebay and it looks a nice project. Looking at the photos of the roof, the wooden struts are in place and if it is the same as a 10 coupe I restored, the lining tacks straight on to these. I don't believe any kit is available.
What I did was buy the material - I used one called union wool, which I bought from a trimming suppliers called Woolies (https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/95/wool) and tacked it on section by section - I'm sure a kind member on here will have a photo of the roof so that you can see what it is supposed to look like. - There should be curved panels for the rear sections - these are a card material covered in the lining. I used millboard for these but was lucky to have the old damaged boards to use as templates, but again if you can source photos these will help or perhaps have a measure up of a fellow owners car.
Because the lining is not one complete section the task is not quite at daunting as it seems and you can tackle it by one section at a time - the only downside is a stiff neck at the end of it!
Good luck if you go ahead with the purchase.
regards
Neal

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks for the information.I am looking at one or two while I have little to do.I am also looking at a 1934 Rover 10,which needs reasonable work work ,which is what I`m looking for and it s a rolling restoration. This is in Garstang Lancs The car is advertised on Cars and Classics .There is also another one ,but looking closely there is a crack in the roof above the screen and one in the rear wing.This is a sign that the metal has split there ,which is worrying. This one is in Cornwall which is too far as well .Len

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:11 am

Hello I forgot to ask is the headlining stapled onto the wooden cross bits Len

HAD501

Post by HAD501 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Hello. Len
I've also looked at the 12 you mention - window shopping on ebay is one of my favourite passtimes! First thing to mention is that 1947 cars have many detail differences to 1946 and earlier models. A couple of striking things with this one:- it has a pre-war instrument panel (curved glass instruments) although in the correct 1947 dashboard and also the earlier type of gearbox mounting - the 1947 mounting provides improved axial location for the engine/gearbox assembly. Perhaps worth checking how much of a "bitser" it is. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it looks a fairly solid example. As to your specific headlining query - there are no panels in the rear section as on earlier models. The lining is all fabric. Tapering panels fit to the curve of the roof and are supported by 3 metal hoops. These thread through pockets formed at the seams between the panels and are secured in slots in the wooden surrounds of the rear side windows. I started on my car with no headlining and only 2 of the hoops. I made up a pattern using scrap fabric before cutting into the rather pricey Union cloth. Quite a lengthy process but at least I'm pleased with the result! It's not clear from the pics whether any other bits are included - for instance, there's no sign of the wood trim strips that go round the sunroof aperture.
I hope this helps - I don't think I kept the patterns but I could send you photos.
Good luck with your search, Dave

Neal P2

Post by Neal P2 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Dear Len,
I certainly used staples to attach my roof lining - it made it easier to stretch the material taut with one hand and staple gun in the other. I think perhaps originally they may have been tacked in place but staples seemed easier!

I took a quick look at the P2 you mentioned at Garstang but it doesn't seem to be on the dealers actual website for some reason so it's hard to see the photos in detail - first impressions though it looks quite nice. I don't seem to be able to find the other you mention with a crack in the roof. The earlier car in Cornwall looks good with more photos on their wbsite.

I guess in the end it will come down to how much work you want to take on - I took on mine as a started restoration project which made it a hard job as I didn't know what was missing or where all the boxes of parts were supposed to go! - I got it up to the final stages with body work, engine and interior done but unfortunately had to sell before I finished as I moved and had no garage.

Good luck in your search

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:17 pm

Hello,the one with the crack on the roof,which is quite worrying, is on Cars and Classics number C1220933 and the other is on Ebay number 223958880247 a lot of work,but I have restored nearly 30 cars as a hobby over the last 25 years Len

Neal P2

Post by Neal P2 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:30 pm

Hi Len,
Yes, I see what you mean about the cracking particularly on the roof where you wouldn't expect stress from flexing etc. The paintwork is quite shiney I wonder if it has had a blow over to smarten it up - but not prepared beforehand very well hence some cracking. It also kooks like the roof lining will need doing on this one also.
That's quite a number of cars you have restored!
best Neal

digcot65

Post by digcot65 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:55 am

I think the Rover with the cracked roof is one to avoid,once the paint is removed it could be a horror. W hen I restored a car I usually stripped them to bare metal and stripped the interior.SInce it was a hobby and not for profit,I could spend my time.Len

Neal P2

Post by Neal P2 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:33 pm

Yes, unfortunately as you say it could be hiding trouble! - I'll keep an eye out for any others you might be interested in also