P2 starter solenoid

RobHomewood

Re: P2 starter solenoid

Post by RobHomewood » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:52 pm

Thanks Luli
I understand
But there must be some kind of conspiracy going on because on the whole of Amazon all but 1 unit is showing as 'out of stock' or 'not available'!!!!!! I have never seen that before. I'll try some other Uk suppliers
Rob

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Rob

Now we know that the engine can turn over by hand, the reason the starter kicks in and then stops along with the instruments suggests that the load being placed on the starter is causing the power from the battery to go dis. As Luli says, this could be the battery at fault or a poor connection. However, given that you are losing power to the instruments, the HR connection must be between the solenoid (where power is taken off to the rest of the car) and the battery - or the battery itself. This rules out the starter and the solenoid. So, check all the connections on the battery, including the earth connection to the chassis, and the connection of the cable to the solenoid. If these are good, try jump starting from another car or swap the battery with a spare.

Good luck

Tony

Ps if you follow the link Luli gave to Wadhams you can see a picture of the sleeve and then identify it on the starter. But that won’t be the fault.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:20 am

Thanks Tony
Actually what Luli said about the battery had got me thinking already. The battery is just a few months out of its 4 year guarantee (how time flies) so may be it is failing, I have put it on charge again tonight and if tomorrow I can detect any improvement in the starter action that probably answers my query.
In that case I shall try to replace it with 60AH one (50Ah I think currently) but the battery tray on mine is pretty small and not much room where it is under the bonnet.
I shall report back
Rob

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:50 pm

Hi Luli, Tony et al
Thanks again Luli for your comments to the battery. After another overnight charge the starter actually managed to turn the engine over, not fast but unmistakably. So I am now convinced it is a battery problem and feel a little a little stupid. I allowed myself to be misled by the voltage readings and my mindset was telling the battery was relatively new. So I have ordered a new battery - the biggest I can squeeze into the tray with a new longer clamp with the J bolts on the outside of the tray. In this case I have gone for a 63Ah Bosch. I have no idea whether Bosch are still a good make but I remember fondly my Audi was still on its original Bosch battery after 19 years from new! I didnt go for one of the new AGM or EFB types because I got the impression they were developed for modern cars with stop/start and lots of electronics which of course I dont have. We shall see...........
Rob

luli

Post by luli » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:28 pm

I dare to remind again the little "jump start" device. On top of starting cars in this situation and give quick diagnostic, it can charge your phone, used as a torch and emergency flashing light.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:08 pm

Yes indeed Luli I did take that on board but found 2 problems. Firstly pretty well everywhere on the internet is saying they are out of stock of these jump start items. And secondly I watched a test review of half a dozen or so in the US and some were fairly good but some were pretty useless. Guessing that it is the worst ones which will be left on the shelf currently I am going to wait for the market to recover before I commit,
Rob

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi Rob,

Probably wise to wait if you have found a good one that is out of stock. However, I’ve just looked at Halfords and they seem to have a range of them in stock from £60 to £200. I like the look of one at £85, which is suitable for petrol and diesels up to 3L so should be ok for all my cars old and newer. I guess it’s possible to get similar spec units cheaper but I think I will get one of these before the Winter.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks for updating me Tony. Maybe it was only a temporary crisis?
There are 2 at £85 - I presume you preferred the lithium one, being smaller and possibly more powerful? And it could be good. Trouble is they dont give any technical details of output, duration etc to compare it to others. I am trying to get that info from their bot as I write this but it seems to be stumped.
Rob