No 1 cylider , ignition timing and carb service

MikeB

No 1 cylider , ignition timing and carb service

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi All

I am getting into setting the ignition timing up and servicing the carb on my rover 10 1939, Although she was running well and starting immediately ( Too quick I think, as one turn of the starter motor fired her up which leads me to think the ignition is too far advanced) she had a couple of issues, namely backfiring when the engine stopped, and fuel vaporization when turned off , the latter not helped by routing the fuel line from the nearside up and over the engine to the carb!, I re routed this and then started to get into the ignition timing before I service the carb

I used a strobe to time the engine using the 11 degree marks on the fly wheel, it was advanced as I thought, incidentally I have assumed that cylinder no 1 is nearest the radiator as I cannot find any reference to this on the site or anywhere else, so correct me if I am wrong please, once I adjusted the ignition timing she ran smother, however is now hard to start even from warm, so I think I may have to play around to find the best ignition timing setting
Have I set the ignition correctly at 11deg BTD ?

On the carb side she has been running very rich by the look of the plugs, I have bought a service kit from Burlen Fuels and will be using this to service the carb, I would like to know how to adjust the mixture on this carb if anybody can help and any tips on the 10 carb

Would much appreciate answers and tips on issues and settings
Regards

Mike

luli

Re: No 1 cylider , ignition timing and carb service

Post by luli » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm

The centrifugal advance in your distributer is a suspect. Since this distributor - DKY4A - is common to many period British cars you can find a lot of information on line. Google after MG TC distributor. See also the pictures here:
http://wp.me/pXLKy-25p and click next on the bottom of the page.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

MikeB

Re: No 1 cylider , ignition timing and carb service

Post by MikeB » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks for the advice luli
The car is running spot on at the moment after replacing the needle and needle jet on the carb, looking forward to putting some miles on before the season ends

Regards

Mike