New member Christina Bodén

Please announce yourselves here when you join
Christina

New member Christina Bodén

Post by Christina » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:49 am

My name is Christina Boden and I live in Hudiksvall in Sweden. In July I bought a 1934 Rover 14 Sports Saloon that has been in my family since 1971.
The car came to Sweden with two Englishmen who had been on vacation. They had been driving north through Norway, but the roads had been so difficult that they chose to drive home through Sweden.
But they had engine trouble and in Piteå they stopped to try to repair it.
They got in touch with my mom's cousin who had the workshop, and asked if they could take the car there and repair it.
It all ended with my grandmother buying the car from them for £ 100, so they could take the train home to England.
Since then the car has been in various garage with my relatives. It has never been reparied and never driven here, except once when they was moving it from my grandmas house to my uncles house. Then my father drove it.
Since about 20 years the car has been in a container at my other uncle.
Now both my grandma, my father an both my uncles are dead, and the house where the Rovers stood was going to be sold. So they needed to get rid of the car as well. Since it has been in my family for so long, I asked to buy it, and after some discussion I bought the car at the beginning of July this year.
The car has been indoors all these years, so it is in relatively good condition and almost complete.
It would be great to get in contact with the two Englishmen that drove the car. They said that they had another Rover at home, but with steel-body, but I have no clue from where they were, or their name.

Klaus

Re: New member Christina Bodén

Post by Klaus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Hello Christina, very interesting story you present here. I've just joined this forum as well, here's a link to my first posting, including a photo of my 1954 Rover 90: http://www.rover-forum.thersr.co.uk/vie ... f=5&t=4020

And funnily enough, the type of car you just acquired is on my list for my next project in about ten years time! Btw, here's a link to a forum message which explains how to include pictures: http://www.rover-forum.thersr.co.uk/vie ... ?f=34&t=33

I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of your 14.
Klaus
1954 Rover 90 (LHD)

Christina

Post by Christina » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm going to find out how to include photos so you can se The old girl. I have a very long. story about her. And I guess it's gonna be longer as we start work on her. She's so worth to get back on the road again.

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi there Christina
A very interesting post.

I maintain the RSR pre 1950 archive database and it is quite possible there may be some history on your 1934 Rover 14. To check on the database I will need either the British registration number or the chassis number, the chassis number should be on a small plate attached to the bulkhead under the bonnet it should consist of 6 figures and the first should be a 4 indicating the year 1934 the second should be a 2 indicating it is a 14 model and the last four indicate the production number.

Await your news/info when I will see what I can find on the database regarding your car.

Regards
Andrew McGovern
Pre 1950 RSR archivist

Christina

Post by Christina » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:14 am

It would be great to get some information about the car. Something to show the authoritys (is that how it is spelled) here, that the car really is what I say it is, in order to register it in Sweden.
I've been in contact with Swindon historical center but all they could say was that where it was registered in 1934. Than it said "probably destroied".
The licens plate is GL 1355 and the chassinummer is 422360.

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 am

Welcome to the forum Christina, a great story and best of luck with your further research.

roverdriver

Post by roverdriver » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:08 am

What an interesting story (and car) Christina. I would love a pre-war Rover, but alas funds would never stretch to one. I do hope that you can solve any problems with such a nice machine, and have much enjoyment from it. I am sure that members here will help with information and advice for you.
Dane.
Dane, roverdriver, not a Viking!

deckell

Post by deckell » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:40 am

Welcome christina to the forum, there is plenty of knowledge and expertise in this club and all are ready to help. all the best with your project best regards Derrick.Smith from down under australia.

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi Christina
Thanks for car details unfortunately it has never been in the RSR so cannot help with the name of the 2 lads but have now added it to the database under your name with your historical information.

The chassis number confirms it is a 1934 Rover 14, and the Registration prefix GL was issued by the Bath licensing authorities issuing the numbers Gl 1060 to GL 1999 during 1934.

Not many of these 1934 14 sports saloon or saloon models seem to have survived and according to the RSR database we are aware of only 9 other 1934 sports saloons l , 7 in England 1 in New Zealand and 1 in Australia, but no doubt there are a few more out there, in my experience for every one we know about there is another one lurking about out there.

If you join the RSR we have a member approved by our licensing authorities who can probably help you in establishing the existence of the car.

Good luck, sorry I can't be more helpful
Kind regards
Andrew

Christina

Post by Christina » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks for trying, it was a long shot that the car should have been in the RSR earlier, but it was worth a try.
I'm sure that there is some more Sport Saloons out there. If I remember correctly there was about 9000 built, so there should be more than nine left, I think.
Now I'm going to collect all papers and information I can so that I can send it to registration authorities in order to get it registred in Sweden.
I'm a member in RSR since this summer. In what way is it possible for RSR to establish the existens of my car.
This evening we moves the car from one garage to another. When we brought the car home, we were four men and one woman to get it of the trailer. Now we were one man, two women and a four wheel drive motorcycle to get it into the next garage. The old girl doesn't move easily :lol:

Best regards

Christina