P2 Workshop Manual

MarkR

P2 Workshop Manual

Post by MarkR » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Hello All
Can anyone update me on proposed availability of the reprinted Workshop Manual for the P2 Rover ?
I am eager to commence works on my new ( to me ) 1939 12SS.
I was hoping to purchase it as a Xmas present to myself !
Thanks in anticipation. Mark

47p2

Re: P2 Workshop Manual

Post by 47p2 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:52 am

Hi Mark, Sadly I cannot answer your question but I do know where there is a 1934-1947 WSM for sale. It is in almost new condition with no oil stains just the front few pages thumbed over. The owner is asking for £80.00 for it, expensive I know but they seem to sell for around this money on eBay when they do come up for sale once in a blue moon

I also know someone who has 2 parts manuals, one is an original 1940s item and is in good to very good original condition and has a lovely patina, really something for the library and it is for sale at £90.00 or a late RSR copy is available at £60.00

dhbuchanan

Post by dhbuchanan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Contact Barry Kent -01366 502225/ newpartsforoldrovers@oreganouk.com - for excellent complete photocopies of original Rover Co.Spare Parts Lists. These were issued year by year through the '30s and contain every single part of the car, right down to individual carpet pieces.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Hello Mark,

First let me apologise for the delayed reply and indeed the lack of recent information on progress. Whilst making headway with changes to the workshop manuals, I have been very busy with preparations for the Classic Motor show,in the UK (I found an extra 150 emails when I got home!) The normal routine of updating the Club database and producing labels for Freewheel also needs to be catered for.

Reprinting is hardly an adequate description for the work undertaken on both workshop manuals. The last editions of both P2 and P3 manuals were produced some years ago by offset litho, (printing plates on a printing press); printing technology has moved on as indeed has the general imposition of health and safety duties.

The much revised edition of the P2 Manual will include updates and additions in the areas of Chassis (including shock absorbers), a rewrite of the Sunroof section, plus a major update to the parts on threaded fasteners and Restoration/ body repairs and the removal of "Fitting a Borg and Beck clutch to a P3" from the P2 manual and inserting it into the P3 manual, and a number of other changes.

The originals have now been scanned to produce a computer file that can be used, once amended, by the printers to produce finished manuals. It also means from our perspective that additions to the basic manual are easier to handle, but it takes time to research, write and (most importantly) arrange review by experienced members, so the finished product is useable and correct.

Having said that, I hope to have placed an order for print by the end of the year and have added you to the waiting list.

Please let me know if there is any information I can help with in the mean time.

The RSR's P2 and P3 parts lists are still available.

Best regards,

Mike Maher
Chairman,
Rover Sports Register

Vince

Post by Vince » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:38 pm

I too am awaiting the availability of the manual for a '38 p2 and will be wanting a parts list at the same time so I hope I am also on your list Mike!

As an aside - thanks for the front wings that you supplied me with, they are making the restoration much easier.
Currently working on replacing the corroded o/s sill inner section. Work is progressing well when I manage to get time in the garage.
Vince

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi Vince, I'm glad you are getting on well with the restoration. Yes Your name is on the List!

Regards

Mike

luli

Post by luli » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:38 am

GOY189 wrote: The originals have now been scanned to produce a computer file that can be used, once amended, by the printers to produce finished manuals. It also means from our perspective that additions to the basic manual are easier to handle, but it takes time to research, write and (most importantly) arrange review by experienced members, so the finished product is useable and correct.

Mike Maher
Chairman,
Rover Sports Register
A digital edition (on a CD or as a file to download) will be most welcomed - and more practical in today's world.
luli
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:22 am

Hi Mike
Many thanks for your update. I am happy to wait for what sounds like a comprehensive update of the workshop manual. I have started replacing the Sills on the car, but that is only the start ! I prefer to research each part of required work before getting to spanner happy. I did purchase the Spares list from the RSR stand at the NEC last month.
I do prefer a paper copy of the Workshop manual and look forward to purchasing myself a New Years present when available.
Many thanks Mark

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Can you not offer a digital update of the key sections - buying the latest copy will make it 3 I will have - they are are indispensable though 8-)
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Any news updates on reprint of P2 workshop manual and availability ?
Sorry