P2 Workshop Manual

GOY189

Re: P2 Workshop Manual

Post by GOY189 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:57 pm

Both P2 and P3 workshop manuals are with the printers, who will be delivering initial supplies to the club in 2 weeks.

There have been grumbles about the length of time out of print , so an explanation is due.

The first point is that updates to the workshop manuals are not the only task that has had to be done. Whilst making headway with changes to the workshop manuals, I have been kept busy with preparations for the 60th Birthday rally, the 2014 rally, Classic Motor shows and other events, The normal routine of updating the Club database and producing labels for Freewheel also needs to be catered for.

Reprinting is hardly an adequate description for the work undertaken on both workshop manuals. The last editions of both P2 and P3 manuals were produced some 14 years ago by offset litho, (printing plates on a printing press); printing technology has moved on. In any case, the 14 year old printing plates, if they were available, would be unsuitable for further use.

The originals of the last edition (laser printed text with illustrations scissor cut from separate sheets and literally pasted in) of each manual were scanned to produce an initial computer file that can be used, once amended, by the printers to create finished manuals.

Initial and amended are the key terms here. Some illustrations were poor and some key pictures, like the illustration in section M of the P2 manual showing the correct way to remove early aluminium brake shoes, were unsuitable for further reproduction.

The third edition of the P2 Manual includes updates and additions in the areas of Chassis (including shock absorbers), a rewrite of the Sunroof section, plus a major update to the parts on threaded fasteners and Restoration/ body repairs and a number of other changes, including those dictated by the general imposition of health and safety duties that need to be reflected in the manual.

Restorations, fasteners and Sunroof sections are also in the P3 workshop manual

Finding and scanning original illustrations and recreating new electronic originals takes time, as does substituting pages and inserting pages into the file.

The new sections (like the P2’s Chassis section) take time to research, write and (most importantly) arrange review by experienced members, so the finished product is useable and correct.

So the new approach has taken time, but it means that we are able to order a smaller quantity of made up manuals, that are easier for volunteers to store and handle with guaranteed rapid delivery of reprints.

Less club money is tied up in workshop manuals, which is a good deal for the club and unit production cost is reasonable.

Each workshop manual has 27% more pages, increasing the P2 manual by 84 pages and the P3 manual by 48. Inevitably this means that costs must increase, save for the few members who ordered and paid for manuals and have been waiting. They will get the third edition at the second edition price.

The other effect is on post costs. The new P2 manual must be delivered at small parcel rate in the UK. This means that either or both P2 parts lists can be delivered in the UK with the P2 manual for the same post cost as the P2 manual alone.

Selling prices are being worked out at the moment and will be advised shortly.

Mike Maher

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:28 am

Many thanks for the update.
Being a newbie with P2's I wished to wait for the correct advice and measured approach !
It sounds like it will have been worth the wait. I did not realise though that I could have paid my money to ensure a cheaper price.
Many thanks Mark

wooster

Post by wooster » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 am

Add my name too the list please.
Cheers
Rich
_______
'39 P2 '14' six-light

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Without going into detail about how our volunteer, distributed system works, in order to clarify regarding paying for the workshop manuals, we were able to close the internet ordering path quickly. However we received at least one order on paper with a membership application before the out of stock situation was clear to us all. As this was accompanied by a cheque that had been banked by the registrar before the order was sent on to the volunteer who deals with distribution, that member will get a Workshop manual at the price he paid, even though we take a hit in terms of the selling price of the revised manual, that's only fair.

Hope this clarifies the situation

Mike Maher

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks for the update Mike. I totally understand the old price, communication issue. What is the latest regarding availability ?

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Well done all, Hooray !
I've just ordered my P2 manual.
Many thanks Mark

paul williams

Post by paul williams » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:12 am

Full range of the NEW RSR Workshop Manuals and Parts Lists and Sets of both, now available to buy on line

http://www.thersr.co.uk/club/rsr-publications

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:56 am

BTW I did report an error in the current P2 1934-38 Workshop Manual some time ago. On page 15 in the ' Tappet Clearance ' section, sub section ' Remarks ' It states that the red rocker box instruction plate is for 0.005" tappet setting. This should read ' black ' . And the black 0.010" plate should read red.
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

wooster

Post by wooster » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:09 am

Just ordered mine! :D
Cheers
Rich
_______
'39 P2 '14' six-light

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:15 pm

My shiny new manual arrived today.
Many hours of valuable bedtime reading ahead.
Looks excellent !! Many thanks to all who contributed and composed it.