windscreen replacement

MikeB

windscreen replacement

Post by MikeB » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:34 am

Hi All

About to start replacing my windscreen on my P2

After drilling out the holes that hold the two strips of metal together and removing the frame to release the glass, I sent the frame off off for plating, however now I am ready to replace it I need to get the two half's of the screen to lock together again via the strips with the tapped holes in them, now I realise I should have had the oversize holes plug welded before I sent the screen to the platers !

I have tried chemical metal in the elongated holes to fill them and then to drill them out, however there does not seem to be enough adhesion around the holes to hold the chemical metal in, and when drilling the new holes it breaks up, I suppose I could have the holes plug welded after chroming, however I feel that this may ruin the plating and cause more issues

Has anybody repaired these holes in the screen half's before ? and if so have you got any tips and tricks before I decide which way to go, is filling the holes with brazing possible ?

Thanks for any help

Mike

luli

Re: windscreen replacement

Post by luli » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 am

Search google for thread repair. A typical result: https://www.cromwell.co.uk/HEL6202307H
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

Vince

Post by Vince » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:42 am

Can you use a larger diameter screw and retap the retaining plates to suit?
The alternative might be to use rivets in place of the screws Or perhaps use washers under the screws after using Chemical metal.
As you say brazing will ruin the chrome. I thought the frames were brass.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:15 am

Thanks Both

I had not thought about rivets up to now I think this will be way to go, I will post my solution when I get it done

Mike