Pedal gaiters

RobHomewood

Pedal gaiters

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:57 am

I have now fitted new rubber pedal gaiters with felt inserts to the clutch and brake pedal shafts of my P2 DHC. I would like to fit similar on the accelerator pedal (different size hole etc) but Mike Couldry tells me there was never a gaiter made for the accelerator shaft. Is there something out there which will fit or can be adapted? What have other people done about this hole? Your advice would be appreciated

1938 P2 14

Re: Pedal gaiters

Post by 1938 P2 14 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:31 am

It is very rare on any car to have a rubber on the throttle pedal brake & clutch have it for grip.

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Sorry I didnt mean the rubber pads on the pedals themselves. I mean the rubber gaiters which seal around the pedal shaft where it goes through the bulkhead.

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:38 pm

I cannot see how a gaiter could be fitted - any as our pre-war 16 has no heater the warm draft coming up through the gap is welcome in the winter - not so good in summer though
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:51 am

Hi Rob

Would be interested in what you have fitted, as gaiters as I am about to do the same, can you post a picture ?

Thanks

Mike

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:16 pm

Mike you reminded me that I had not taken any record photos so here are the links. Sorry if thsi is a bit clunky I haven't done photos on here before.

The photos show up that the bulkhead needs some tlc too and I hadnt realised prior to the work that the pedal rubbers were so worn (new ones on the way)
The new gaiters went on surprisingly easily - just remove the pinch bolts & remove shaft inside (remembering their position on the shaft), wriggle the gaiters in so the bulkhead fits in the slot. insert the felt pad and slide the shaft back in from inside the footwell, refit pinch bolt and all done! They were readily available from Mike Couldry and didn't break the bank. By the way the spring you can see tucked under one gaiter is the accelerator lever spring which was anchored in this hole so I refitted it where it was.
The accelerator is a different story and I havent got any feedback on options for that. I have ordered some american Ford grommets which may be adaptable. We'll see
regards Rob
Last edited by 47p2 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tidying up photos

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:45 pm

You will be pleased to learn that I finally sourced some rubber grommets for the accelerator shaft - which took a long time to arrive from China.
However although they are technically oversized they did fit into the hole. [img]http://s172.photobucket.com/user/RobHom ... sort=1&o=1[/img]
They are blanks so I had to cut a slot. [imghttp://s172.photobucket.com/user/RobHomewood/media/accelerator%20shaft%20and%20grommet%20ready%20for%20insallation_zpshax80pgr.jpg.html?filters[user]=142653120&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2][/img]
I had to make the slot a bit wide as the grommet was over compressed
The slot is longer than the shaft depth as the shaft moves down slightly as it travels.[img]http://s172.photobucket.com/user/RobHom ... sort=1&o=0[/img]
I shall be checking for any resistance to movement and maybe add wil some lubricant.
The grommets were less than £1 each. I got 10 in my bundle so I have some spares. I think they are now bundles in 5's See http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-Pcs-Gr ... 00745.html