how much paint?

Vince

how much paint?

Post by Vince » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi folks
Need to think about getting the paint organised for my 37 10 four door saloon.
It's going to be painted from bare.
Using epoxy primer followed by cellulose.
I trained as a paint sprayer as a lad but can't remember how much paint I'm likely to need for a respray.
It'll be two tone. Black for the wings bonnet top and roof and a colour for the body sides etc.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Chris C

Re: how much paint?

Post by Chris C » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Speak to your paint supplier, it depends what sizes they sell the paint in, 4 - 5 litres (1 gallon) should be enough to have some left over for touching up,
and at least it will be the correct match. Also depends on how much you have stripped off (inside & outside, or just outside).
Good luck to doing it yourself, hope you've got a clean, dry, dust free area to do the work. The quantity also depends upon the amount of thinners used.
Personally, I'd rather do the hard work of stripping off the old paint and preparing the bare metal, then applying the zinc primer and then letting the professionals do the rest with a 2 pack paint and rubbing down, then final polishing . Any problems, then it's down to them.
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)

Vince

Post by Vince » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks for that. I was thinking of those quantities too.
Have painted many vehicles and am confident with the prep and painting and will feel like I have cheated if I get someone else to do the painting.
I always struggle with quantities but if I get 5 litres topcoat thats 10 litres thinned.
Plenty I think!
Thanks again.

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:59 am

I plan on spraying my 12SS after sorting the bodywork. Can people suggest the best approach to getting back to bare metal as I seem to have hideous amounts of filler hiding under my paint which needs sorting. I am undecided on dust and sanders or corrosive chemical cocktails ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 am

The least dust but most messy is to use Nitromors. Paint it on a panel at a time, then cover it with 1000 gauge plastic sheet and leave for a couple of days.
Get hold of the plastic sheet and peel it off the bodywork, it should bring the paint off with it. Then it's a case of doing it again if it hasn't brought off all
the paint, or just sand off the rest. Best to put a large plastic sheet under the car before you start.
Another way to remove paint and derust panels is to dip them in a solution of molasses and water for about a week, then pressure wash off the panels. In extreme cases you sometimes need to repeat the process for another week. Use a mix ratio of 1 part molasses to 10 parts of water in a large enough tank to cover the panels (wings, doors, bonnets, boots, etc etc). You can buy molasses in 25 Lt cans off Ebay for £40 (or get the contact) See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZCFcxf5IBw
Rover Sport Register

Vince

Post by Vince » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:04 pm

I gently used a blow lamp to soften the paint and filler whilst using a scraper. Then sanded.
You could get it blasted. I Intend on getting someone in to blast the pitted rust just before I'm ready with the primer

MarkR

Post by MarkR » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Vince
Thanks for your advice.
I am working on the doors at present while I await the sill sections. Molasses and water scared me with the wood in the doors so I tried my hot air gun and scraper. It seems to work well considering as I remove the filler it appears the door skin must have been hit by a bus before filling ! I looked at the youtube link for molasses and might try that on the wings etc.

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:27 pm

If you are using a heat gun or blow lamp to soften the paint, then be very careful when you
get to the rear end of the body either side of the rear window where the roof section comes down
to the centre line (between the rear window and the rear doors. Normally in this area Rover used
to "lead load" these panels, in order to achieve the smooth curve. If you apply too much heat, then
the solder (lead) will melt and run off the body.
Rover Sport Register

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:03 am

For all my bodywork restorations I have the body media blasted professionally, always removed from the chassis, and then zinc sulphated.
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124