Smith's Hydraulic pillar Jack

Chris C

Smith's Hydraulic pillar Jack

Post by Chris C » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:34 am

Does anyone have any information on Smith's Hydraulic Jack suitable for P2 chassis jacking system.

http://www.mgaroadster.co.uk/Smiths%20J ... 20Post.JPG

I've just bought one of these jacks at the National Rally @ Burton on Trent. I had already got
the jack handle in the boot of the P2 next to the wheel brace (but no jack) !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've now stripped down the jack, freed off the hyd cylinder tube, opened up the valve block
and cleaned everything up. Obviously after 60+ years the rubber seals are very fragile.
Reassembled everything and low and behold it worked. Only one problem, the pump piston
seal leaks externally. So until I can get some new square section seals, the jack is only
for display.

Anyone got any ideas or information on this type of hyd jack. " Smith's Hydraulic Jack - Cricklewood London"

Many thanks
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)

RobHomewood

Re: Smith's Hydraulic pillar Jack

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Cant help with the parts but would be interested in how you freed off the seized piston/shaft as mine is in a similar state. Photos of the dismantled parts would be helpful?

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:44 am

Hi Rob, Sorry didn't think to take any photos as I dismantled it. The main ram/shaft body is screwed to the pump assembly.
Suggest that you unscrew it, add some WD40 at each end to soak and then try pulling or gently tapping the end of the ram.
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Did you manage to find any replacement seals for the hydraulic jack yet? My mechanic whilst awaiting parts for the head, has managed to get my jack apart and although the cylinder is pretty poor he reckons he can be made to work again. He is looking around for some new seals but any sources would be appreciated
Rob