P2 Torsion bar bushes

RobHomewood

P2 Torsion bar bushes

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Having just been under the car (1939 P2) fitting new bushes in the shock absorber arms I noticed that the torsion bar is rattling around and it looks like the bushes on the front of the chassis are no more, disintegrated. However I cant see how to get to them easily. Does anyone know if I just take the radiator grille off whether I can get to them or do the wings need to be removed? Also does the whole torsion bar need to come off to thread the new bushes along it or can the bushes be split and pushed on locally?
Thanks for any help on this
Rob

GOY189

Re: P2 Torsion bar bushes

Post by GOY189 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Hello Rob,

This job can be done without substantial dismantling. first give all the bolts and nuts a good dose of penetrating oil. Next remove the cover plate on the offside front crossmember to reveal the steering box. It's a bit ofr a fiddle, but you can then get at the nuts that secure the rearmost 2 bolts on the securing strap. The front 2 are much easier. The offside is a lot easier still as there is no steering box in the way.

The correct rubbers have a cut at the bottom and can be slipped over the torsion bar. Reassembly is the reverse etc!

Best regards

Mike

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks Mike.
I read that and thought it sounded simple. However when I got under the car the 'cover plate on the crossmember' ( I started on the nearside since it sounded simpler) turned out to be in one piece [img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/RobHomewood/Rover%20P2/P1100300_zps5i5ur3hq.jpg[/img][/img]and the whole of the engine bay side panel which would mean wing, battery, pump electrics etc to remove. I thought if I could get the dumb iron cover off that might be enough for access but it is fixed through by the front bumper support [img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/RobHomewood/Rover%20P2/P1100301_zpss2ymfgya.jpg[/img][/img]and etc- not sure how to remove that. So I am hoping you can clarify for me? Maybe I have misunderstood your instructions?
The only good thing was that I found in my spares what looks like a complete set of new bushes for the torsion bar- does that look right to you (anyone)?[img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/RobHomewood/Rover%20P2/P1100304_zps4yir6kw8.jpg[/img][/img]
Rob

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Red face from Chairman, who thought he had said "Then remove the bumper and dumb iron covers" before "next remove the cover plate on the offside".

To remove the bumper, remove nuts from the U Bolts and drop the bumper, prise the rubber buffers out of the cups and remove the set bolts (1/2") from the silentblock bush.
Remove that bush, the lamp and horn brackets and lamp bar if fitted.

The dumb iron covers can be removedafter releasing a bolt at each side (under the wing).

Then you should be able to get at the securing straps. The rubbers pictured look to be correct for the torsion bar.

Regards

Mike

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks Mike
I appreciate that
Rob

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:16 pm

I have managed to replace the nearside rubber OK but am struggling with the offside. You didnt underestimate when you said if was fiddly. I have wrestled out 7 of the 8 bolts holding the access cover plate on the cross member but the last one is defeating me. [imgImage][/img] There is just no room to get a spanner of any kind onto the nut at the back of this last bolt becasue the steering box is in the way. Image[/img] These bolts have heavily rounded shoulders for some reason and are dificult to get a good grip but in any case the nut will spin. And as for getting it back on afterwards!
It sounds like you have done this - do you have any advice on getting out this last bolt and replacing it? Or maybe I have to drill it out and refit with a coachbolt or something?
regards
Rob

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi Rob,

If memory serves this bolt was akward for me too although I did get it out. Try cleaning the area around the bolt head and using a socket that drives on the flats rather than the corners with a wobble bar or universal joint. A 6 point rather than 12 point socket may work also. If you cannot get an open ended spanner onto the nut or jam it against a bar braced against the chassis, then drilling it out is probably the best option.

Good luck

regards

Mike

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Dear Mike
I did eventually manage to get the last cover plate bolt out by inserting a flat open end spanner over the top of the steering box from the nearside but I wasn't then that impressed by the 'access' it gave me to the 2 rearmost bolts on the torsion bar bush. Having replaced the bush though I spent a long time ( best part of 2 sunny days) trying to get those bolts back in and failed. My domestic stock is at a very low ebb. There is only room for the flat of an open end spanner between the steering box and the chassis and balancing the nut or the bolt on that was always gong to be hit and miss. In the end I had the garage have a go and they managed by soldering the 2 bolts onto a plate which they offered up from underneath and somehow managed to get into place. So I hope I dont have to do that job ever again!
I spent so much time on that I havent time or energy now to do the kingpin (failed the 'MoT' the reason for the garage visit) so that will have to be another garage job. Several other jobs on the go too............
Rob