Windscreen removale

RobHomewood

Windscreen removale

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:10 pm

I am trying to remove the windscreen to replace seals etc on my 39 P2 DHC [img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/RobHomewood/Rover%20P2/P1100307_zpsipfqkdd9.jpg[/img][/img]. I dont know if the DHC is different to the others in this respect but I have undone 2 screws each side just below the hinge position [img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/RobHomewood/Rover%20P2/P1100308_zps2jpo8pap.jpg[/img][/img] but the screen is still rock solid. Is there a trick or am I missing something? I dont want to force it.
Any advice gratefully received
Rob

RobHomewood

Re: Windscreen removale

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:47 pm

Well having read the old threads on windscreens again I went out to see if the screen removes inwards. But no it doesnt- on this model anyway. I am pleased to say I have now got the screen out. For future reference I found there were 3 screws each side - not two as I had removed -holding the screen assembly and this slightly suprised me by allowing the whole of the top of the windscreen/roof frame to lift off. Once off of course I could see that I didnt need to remove it. The screen hinge pins are loose inside the head of the screen with 2 screws holding the pin in the sticking out position. The inner of these screws is in a slotted hole and you are supposed to remove the first and slide the second to pull back the pin and let the screen out. Doing it the wrong way I removed both screws and tapped the pin in- at the risk of loosing the pin inside the screen head section - so not advised.
At this point I can also resolve my confusion about the seal. Different people quote the seal as very different profiles, Well there are the two different profiles on my screen- one along the top which is compressed between the frame and the other around the bottom and side which sits flat against the body. I dont remember anyone actually mentioning that!
Now all I have do is get the old seals out (surprisingly tough considering their apparent condition) and the new ones in!
Rob

Phil - Nottingham

Re: Windscreen removale

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Your feedback/experiences are very welcome - any more
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others