Tank slapper

djm16

Tank slapper

Post by djm16 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Anyone who has ridden a motorcycle of a certain vintage, actually everyone of a certain vintage who has ridden a motorcycle will recognise the term "tank slapper". This is the steering going into an uncontrolled and violent oscillation causing the rider the slap the petrol tank with his hands several times (before falling off).

I had a similar experience in my P3 this weekend, not pleasant. I have now read several posts about "front wheel wobble", mine was a front wheel wobble on illegal stimulants. I was aware of play in one of the track rod ball ends. Fortunately I inherited a complete set of replacement parts that came with the car and have been putting these on. However, and of course there is a "however", I am not attracted to the drag link replacement. The original is of course a one piece unit with a ball joint at one and a rubber bush at the other. The replacement has ball joints at each end of a threaded and bent rod. The biggest problem I see with this is that the rod is bent around the threads which is a recipe for starting a stress fracture. If I were to use this set up I would get a piece of stock rod, heat it, bend it, let it cool slowly and then cut just enough thread to mount the ball joint ends.

So to get to the point, the old drag link may well be reusable. The ball joint at one end just needs a grease nipple and a new boot. The rubber bush looks like it may be something you can buy from a place dealing in suspension items.

The question:

"is the pin through the rubber bush meant to be bonded to the rubber?" If so then the assembly would be quite rigid and movement of the drag link in the relay arm would be down entirely to distortion in the rubber.

luli

Re: Tank slapper

Post by luli » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Try item M00000155 Draglink solid type p3, complete replacement for rubber bushes Exchange Only - Meteor spares service.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:57 pm

I agree with Luli, get one of Mike Couldry's exchange units.

djm16

Post by djm16 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:49 am

Thanks guys, I was not aware of that option. So if the pin in my unit starts to float again after I have glued it back with CA, then I shall do that.