What modern oils and greases do I use ?

RumblinRon

What modern oils and greases do I use ?

Post by RumblinRon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi

New to my 1936 Rover 14 and a am just going about checking out fluids and settings to bring it all up to scratch if needed. I have a list of brands and names from 1936, but what modern oils can I use today ? Thinking about gearbox and axles, also the auto oiler. I have also just opened up the stearing box and found it full of grease, surely it should be oil ?

Ron

dhbuchanan

Re: What modern oils and greases do I use ?

Post by dhbuchanan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:29 pm

The oil seals in our steering boxes are prone to leakage and it's a heck of a lot of work to get the assembly out of the car to renew them. The simple modern remedy is to fill the box with Penrite Steering Box Lube. This provides excellent lubrication and stops the leaks.
Almost 30 years ago I found it so impressive in the box of my '37 10 that I went on to use more of their products, including main engine oils. I believe them to be among the best of their kind, so much so that I became an agent for the whole Penrite range, supplying many very satisfied repeat customers.

Now, in retirement, I still use them in the '39 20 and have found the most convenient way of ordering them is via the MG Owner's Club website, which offers an efficient and reasonably priced delivery service.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.

RumblinRon

Post by RumblinRon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Thank you DB. Still not sure what gear oil to use, expect it to be a 90 grade ? Worried that EP additives in all the modern oils will damage bronze bushes, copper etc although people say gl4 spec is safe in the post 60'subject classic world for use with synchromesh gearboxes.
I will check out Penrite brands on the MG website.and avoid modern additives where possible.

Ron

RumblinRon

Post by RumblinRon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 pm

For info if anybody else has oil queries,
Penrite have oil type and quantities for many types of car not just Rovers.
Follow this link: [url]https://www.holden.co.uk/refDocs/0157.pdf/[url]

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:57 pm

Don't use heavy gear oil for the gearbox.
Rover recommended to use SAE 40 engine oil for the gearbox, if you use heavy gear oil, that will lead to difficult gear shifting.
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)