Dynamo Replacement UK

Dynamo Replacement UK

Postby EastEndJohn » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:24 am

My recently acquired 1948 P3 came with the Dynamo disassembled. Can anyone advise where I could get it re built and tested or alternatively where to acquire a replacement. I am not even sure if the car is + pos or - Neg earth as it came without a battery? many thanks
EastEndJohn

Re: Dynamo Replacement UK

Postby TonyG » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:54 am

John, there is very little alteration required to convert from +ve to -ve earth working on your car apart from repolarising the dynamo, reconnecting the battery the other way and swapping around the coil connections. If there is an electric fuel pump it will, most likely, be polarity conscious as well. The starter motor and wipers are unaffected.
As such, it sounds as though the only polarity indication you may have is the coil terminal connections. If SW or -ve (depending on coil age) go towards the points it is -ve earth.
However, it sounds as though you are at the stage where you can make it whatever you want. I’ve converted both my P1 and P2 to -ve working as part of their restorations. I’ve also opted to replace the dynamos with Dynamators. Clearly a departure from originality but one that ensures excellent charging at all times and probably the most sensible alteration I’ve made for modern driving. It also does away with the voltage regulator, so much simpler if you are rewiring the car. A Dynamator is an alternator that looks a bit like a dynamo and costs around £150. You will need the pulley from your old dynamo.
As an observation of a number of old cars at shows, I would urge owners to replace their original looms for new ones from Autosparks. At £200-£300 it removes so many potential faults, improves headlight functionality and helps reduce the fire risk of disintegrating wires. I’ve seen any number of cars with a nightmare of old wiring and subsequent repairs etc.
Not an easy job to replace but a bit simpler if using an alternator. Autosparks will make the loom to accommodate this and electric pumps etc, as required.
The wiring diagrams are in the workshop manual. I laid out the new loom sections on the kitchen table and identified and labelled each conductor using masking tape and writing on if it was going to or from a component. Then a matter of putting the loom in the car and joining up the sections etc. As I said, not easy but within the capability of a competent diy restorer.

I hope that helps.

Tony Gilbert
TonyG

Postby EastEndJohn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:54 am

Very Helpful thank you Tony.
EastEndJohn

Postby luli » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Excellent advice!
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD