1935 ROVER 14 SPORTS SALOON SHOCKS

wobler100

Re: 1935 ROVER 14 SPORTS SALOON SHOCKS

Post by wobler100 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi Mike, I'm a new member & would like to fit telescopic front struts to my 14 P1
Could you let me know which strut & source etc
Many thanks
Kevin

dhbuchanan

Post by dhbuchanan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Get in touch with Mike Couldry of Meteor Spares Service Ltd.: Tel.0115 9811222 ; meteorss@hotmail.com who also has a big ad. in "Freewheel". He may be able to advise you. The telescopic shocks and mounting brackets he supplied for my 1939 20 have made a marked improvement in the way the car drives and holds the road. Potholes are no longer so great a menace to road safety as they were before I fitted this useful modification.
Britain's roads are getting worse and that situation is unlikely to improve any time soon, so do yourself a favour and consider fitting Excelsior Sport radial tyres at the same time if they are available in your size. The difference is phenomenal.
1939 20 H.P. Salmons Tickford D.H.C.

p2roverman

Post by p2roverman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Jim
Only just seen this, I very rarely visit the forum.
I've come across a couple of period fittings of telescopics in place of the little 2-bolt vane type front shocks; difficult to know if they were a professional after market item or locally made. Would be able to dig and detail if you wish.

Rear ones. both the illustrations were wrong for a 1935 car. I would expect it to have large two bolt vane type shocks on a bracket standing vertical on the channel cross member. Problem is the action tries to twist this cross member out of the chassis - I solve this by fitting a stay from the top bolt to the round cross member. These shocks are more common and should be available or reconditionable, but as an alternative could you fit a lever arm shock from a typical 1960s car? Would need some bracketry made of course.
Mike