It was all going too well.............

Like a good wine, vintage Rovers need appreciating
oilmagnet477

It was all going too well.............

Post by oilmagnet477 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 am

Hi all
Update on 10 special (1932)

Managed to sort out the DVLA with a visit to the local office in Norwich. So got home itching to go for a spin.
When cold engine starts beautifully but quickly gets hot, smoke comes out of the oil filler pipe at the front of the engine (chrome cap with holes in) and theres alot of oil all over the engine. Also when driving there is very little oomph, especially on hills. Eventually she just dies.

I suspect head gasket, possible blocked rocker breather (is there one?) , failed water pump.

If I'm right does anyone know where I can find a gasket and get water pump sorted.

I'm still smiling though :D

Thanks
Tony
1932-3 Rover 10 Special, 1980 Series 3 Landrover

paul williams

Re: It was all going too well.............

Post by paul williams » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:35 am

Tony,
Sorry to hear your news,

the first point of call is Meteor Spares:

http://www.thersr.co.uk/meteor-spares-ltd

have a chat with Mike Couldry who will be able to sort you out. I dont think there is a separate rocker breather and the water pump is unlikely to cause the symptoms you describe. I would go for the head gasket or cylinder/rings blow past.

If there is oil/water contamination then definitely have a look at the head gasket, one word of warning from my experience be careful with the head bolts, on my engine 1929 2 litre the head bolts had been overtightened and had cracked the block which has caused a whole lot of problems but thats a different story.

Best of Luck

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

oilmagnet477

Post by oilmagnet477 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:40 am

Paul
What a star - I'm loving this forum almost as much as the car!!

I'll persue and keep you posted

Thanks
Tony
1932-3 Rover 10 Special, 1980 Series 3 Landrover

cherokee

Post by cherokee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:10 pm

From my own experience many years ago I would check compressions on cylinders first as worn bores ,worn or broken piston rings would add up to the symptoms you are suffering. Exessive oil consumption would also be evident.

David Bliss

Post by David Bliss » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 am

By the sounds of it you will have to take the head off anyway to check things. If my suspicions are right you need to check the bores. If the bore and pistons aren't too bad, you might get away with just a set of rings but in most cases it would be a rebore. Although this isn't the main problem, it sounds as if the engine is a bit retarded and getting a bit hot under the collar as a result. Best of luck.

David