47 Tourer found in the USA

rathorover

Re: 47 Tourer found in the USA

Post by rathorover » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:40 pm

I remember this car well, as I saw it from time to time in Edinburgh(Scotland) when I was at school there in the 1960s. Our family car then was a 46 14 six light ( which I still own) and I was fascinated by this unusual model. When my father moved on to a P4 he gave me the P2 and I ran it when I was a student, but I hankered after a tourer. I discovered that the owner of the tourer lived next door to friends of my parents and I made contact with the owner. He had owned it for quite a long time and it was their every day family car. I let him know that I would be very interested in buying it if he decided to sell it. I then heard that he had sold it to an American who was having some work done on it in Edinburgh before shipping it across the Atlantic - apparently he had lost my phone number and had not been able to contact me, I think he must have felt a bit guilty as he gave me some spare parts for the car and some whitworth spanners which would be of no use for the Triumph Herald convertible which replaced the Rover. Bill McCreath gave me a print of a photograph which he took of this car in Scotland, I will see if I can lay my hands on it.