Ash frame - advice, good reference sources, suppliers?

carcathan

Ash frame - advice, good reference sources, suppliers?

Post by carcathan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Have stripped out some of the rotten interior trim on my 12 and its hitting home just how much of the wood is completely shot or even missing - i think we could be looking at 60 - 80%.

In the old parts catalogues that i acquired with my car i can't see anything on the timber frame - pictures, dimensions etc. Has anyone seen any useful articles or pictures anywhere on the P2 that they could scan me a copy of?

Obviously i'm going to need to source new timber. Has anyone got a good supplier in the south east - or anywhere for that matter as i do travel a bit?
Otherwise, has anyone successfully replaced rotten ash with a more modern alternative? I wondered if i'd have more luck building up sections of glued ply (of the appropriate type) and then cutting it back to shape rather than ruining more expensive pieces big pieces of Ash.

I have been doing some searching on the web for other timber framed cars and repairs - so picking up a bit of good knowledge. The books on the subject are all out of print and seem to attract silly money second hand - and some of the reviews i've seen suggest they're not worth the money anyway. Again, any thoughts or links to good books or web pages?

Richard

MacKellaich

Re: Ash frame - advice, good reference sources, suppliers?

Post by MacKellaich » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Richard, again this is my view and not a technical reply. If the damage to the ash frame i.e P1 is as extensive as you say then it is a major task. Looking at it from a practical and commercial point of view. The car is not a rare Lagonda or a Marque that is going to effect its value (OK don't start throwing stones RSR members) So I would not go to the expense of seasoned Ash, I would go marine ply as you suggest. It is cheaper and probably as durable (maybe more so), probably stronger and if you make a mistake it is not going to break the bank to do a part again. Unless someone can offer a real good reason to go to the expense of Ash? Who is going to know, with the mileages we do and the value of the cars, if it is done well it would not effect value adversly (unless someone knows different?) if I have to do my 1935 12 I will go marine ply.
Do take photos and let us see what the result is, good luck on the restoration.